Thread: Generator

Hybrid View

Re: Generator

It should assuming the generator ratings are true.
    a 1/2 hp pump will pull about 12 amps on start at 120v and 7 amps or so at 230v. 120vX12amp=1440 watts. Just for reference a 10HP engine can not make more than 7,457 watts.
    But you still have the problem of how are you going to connect it up.

I am going to use a transfer switch.
    This is a link to the page that tells 8550 max watts.
    http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...amp;lpage=none

Well I guarantee you that it will not pull 8500 watts for more than about 2 seconds before it starts slowing down. With a transfer switch you should be able to pull about 20 amps off of each leg of the utility box. If you have not done so you might want to read this.
    http://www.troybilt-gen-pw.com/data/...0245_0esBw.pdf

Is there something I should be looking for when I read this or just general information?

We are without power from time to time. Last year we had a tornado blow through and were without power for 3 days, and we were one of the lucky ones. One Thanksgiving, after the wife had been cooking the turkey for about an hour, the power went off and stayed off for 8 hours. So, we finally decided to buy a generator.

I would ALMOST say buy more of a generator than you think you will need but the problem with that is generators seem to increase in price rapidly as they increase in power. I had an electrician come out and figure out what size generator I should get and hook up a transfer switch at the meter. Now, when the power goes out, it is a minor and quickly rectified inconvenience.

I would go with a Lister with a ST generator head something in the 6 or 10 hp size. Runs on diesel last forever and holds its value. Listers will not shake apart in 2 weeks time. And no you cant get one at Lowes.