Thread: Rabbit Questions

Rabbit Questions

I am reading up on raising rabbits for meat and fur. I've read a number of websites as well as "Storey's Guide to Raising Rabbits" by Bob Bennet, and joining ARBA.

Mr. Bennet has great information!! This is a wonderful book! I am still wondering about a couple of things and hoping people "in-the-know" can give some advice.

I don't understand why the preferred method of slaughter is breaking the rabbits' necks? Why is decapitation not a humane and efficient means of slaughter? I know these are somewhat gruesome and probably naive questions, but I am wondering why decapitation works for chickens, but not rabbits?

Also, why is it better to breed rabbits of the same line? Linebreeding seems like it would produce rabbits with defects ( the way that inbreeding dogs produces hip problems)?

Thanks for your time.

Seaphish

Re: Rabbit Questions

I think you'll find the reason some recommend breaking a rabbit's neck instead of decapitation is to avoid getting the fur dirty or bloody. Since I did not use or sell the fur, I didn't worry about that. As for line breeding, I don't have an answer. Personally, I avoided inbreeding/line breeding for the few years that I was raising New Zealand White rabbits for meat.

the line breeding means breeding with a grandpa or farther back in the genes its only if you want to bring out some traits you feel are valouabe

Breaking the rabbit's neck is simple. You just grab it by the hind legs and the head and pull. It is quick and easy.
    As for line breeding you can breed a mother to a son and a daughter to a father but you better know what you are dong because you can really hurt your line of rabbits. Line breeding can bring out the best traits of a line or if not done right, will only enhance the bad traits.

If I may deviate slightly...at what age is it recommended that a pet rabbit be fixed? I believe we have a 6 week male.

Females 6 months, males 5 months