Thread: hog watering

hog watering

I raised 6 feeder pigs last year in a nice outside fenced in area. Worked great and had a good return on investment. this year I want to raise 12, but the problem is setting up a convenient watering system. I filled a water container (30 gal barrel cut open so just their head could get in) every day with a hose, but this will get old soon, sooooo, what kind of suggestions do folks have that will be convenient, sturdy and effective.
    thanks

Re: hog watering

At the present time Farmers around here are saying it costs them $50.00 more to feed out a hog than the selling price! [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Egon

Re: hog watering

The local ag stores sell water valves for watering troughs. You can use regular plumbing or use a hose if you don't moind the risk of the hose under constant pressure. The valve assy has a level control that turns the water on below one set point and off above another (not user adjustable usually.)

You just mount the float valve in your water trough, preferably where the critters won't wreck it, i.e. with soem protection or where they can't get to it. This will keep the trough filled automatically. These valves are usually in the $20-30 range.

Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"