Thread: Looking for a 22 rifle

Looking for a 22 rifle

What do you suggest?
    lb
    3 Kubotas
    1 BX23
    2 BX1500s

Re: Looking for a 22 rifle

I think I'm getting it narrowed down, but I still have some questions.
    1/What's the difference between the bull and no bull barrels?
    2/ How much accuracy is lost going from an 18.5'' barrel to a 16 & 1/8th.'' barrel?
    3/What's the difference between a rifle and a carbine?
    lb
    3 Kubotas
    1 BX23
    2 BX1500s

1)Bull barrel is bigger diameter. Will not heat up as fast is biggest advantage
    2) none. Depends more on action, make, individual gun, ammo used...
    3) Carbine in a short rifle. More compact.

Ruger 10/22 good gun not a bad price.
    Gettin Back To My Country Roots

<font color="purple"> I think this Ruger K10/22RB will probably be my final choice. </font color>

I want to thank everyone.
    You have all been most helpful.
    I had a little trouble finding this gun.
    Wouldn't Ya know Ruger would discontinue the rifle I want.
    I finally tracked one down after calling Ruger and their Distributor and a local Dealer.

lb
    3 Kubotas
    1 BX23
    2 BX1500s

I found it interesting that Ruger would discontinue a rifle that they said this about: "** America's favorite .22 rifle."

I now have 2 10-22 Ruger rifles. One is at least 20 yrs old I think and they both shoot fine and last a long time. Not to worry about the small difference in barrel length unless you are trying to push the envelope of accuracy at longer ranges. Then, if you are, you have the wrong rifle.

I recommend you buy a box of every different 22 LR ammo you can get at Wally World or your outfitter. After adjusting the sights or scope then try some careful marksmanship from a rest at say 50 or100 yd targets with low wind conditions and record the ammo types on the individual targets. Then fire a fast magazine in a safe stop (don't need a target.) Note any failures to eject properly or to cycle completely.

You will probably find some of the ammo shoots more accurately and some of the ammo causes malfunctions more often. If you are lucky, the accurate stuff will not be malfunction prone. There can be significant differences in performance from one kind of ammo to another. Once you have found what works for your gun you can buy a brick of it or so and feel confident that you are set to do as good as is reasonable to expect.

I have way more trouble feeding my Walther P-22 than I expect you will ever have with your 10-22. My 10-22 will usually pretty well digest most of the stuff that the Walther won't.

I found that the 10-22 will shoot Super Colibri rounds (by Aguila a Mexican ammo co.) These are primer only and have a note on the box to only shoot in pistols not LONG GUNS but I have not found anyone who ever had a short round with the Super Colibri. There is also Colibri (not Super) Less powerful and I recommend not shooting in a rifle. Even with Super Colibri it is smart to be sure when you shoot that the bullet exits the barrel.

Why would you care about Super Colibri? It reduces the power of the 10-22 to about like a good pellet gun and seriously reduces the report as well as being subsonic and the bullet doesn't make a loud crack sound (sound barrier thing.) Ignore this last part if you prefer louder noises all the time.

The 10-22 will not cycle on Super Colibri and must be manually cycled. I sometimes hold the bolt closed with my thumb when shooting the primer only Super Colibri. Don't try that with 22 LR.

My 10-22 will cycle OK on subsonic 22 ammo, regular ammo with powder not just primer but lower velocity so there is no sound barrier CRACK. This allows follow up shots or shots at more than one pest without spooking everything within a hundred yds.

The 10-22 is accurate enough for general purpose shooting and definitely accurate enough to warrant a decent scope if you shoot at small animals or whatever over a few yds away. I used to use 50 round after market magazines and really heat up the older rifle. It still shoots as good as the new one that has had only a few hundred rounds down the pipe.

I think you chose wisely, Grasshopper!

Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

lb
    3 Kubotas
    1 BX23
    2 BX1500s

Bull Barrels are mainly for competition shooting, the barrel doesn't heat up and warp [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

For anyone else looking for a good 22 rifle. Look at the Taurus 62 pump. Its a takeoff on the Winchester 62 Long Rifle, which is hard to find in good condition. I got one for plinking and varmints out here on the farm. Gets good reviews and mine is well made and shoots good.

I looked at one of those during the NRA convention this Spring. Nice looking rifle.

And welcome to Country by Net! [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?