Thread: Rain water collection system

Rain water collection system

Would like some imput on a water collection system.

The purpose of this would be strictly for water the lawn using water collected from water collected from the gutters on the house and connecting a pump to some type of tank.

Any ideas on a cost effective method ?

Re: Rain water collection system

Chances are a centrifigal shallow well pump would suit your purpose. As for a suitable tank that is a different problem and involve scrounging or cost money.

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

It really depends on a few factors.

One: storage. Do you want storage above or below ground? How many thousand-gallon capacity do you need, can you afford?
    Two: How much rainfall is available?
    Three: What distances do you have to supply the water.
    Filtration: Chances are you will some kind of filtration. This will depend on the quality of water being collected, the settling time in retention and the actual end use. Screening may be all that is needed.
    Four: Pumping systems. If you have an elevated tank, then gravity can be used for supply. If you have an underground supply, then you will need a supply pump. I would prefer to service my water by gravity and use a pump to fill the tank as needed. Of course, ideally, if you could place the tank between supply and demand elevations, that would be great.

I doubt there are any building codes for this type of water supply, but you had better check.

I'm sure there are other issues to deal with but start with these considerations.

Andy Christensen

We collect rain water in two 1100 gallon, above-ground, polyethylene tanks, from gutters on a metal barn roof. We then pump the water to a 550 gallon tank, which is connected to a pressure pump. Ours isn’t the most efficient system, but we’ll get a good 500 gallons of water per inch of rain. The booster pump gets the water to the garden, about 100 feet away. The tanks aren’t cheap, but the water is. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]