Thread: Post location question

Post location question

Hello all. I've been lurking here, enjoying your site, getting some good tips, and I'm ready to start on my pole barn. I have a simple question that for some reason I can't find the answer to. I'm building a 30 x 50 barn. When I set the poles should I make the width and length three inches narrower so that, when 2x4 girts are added to the outside the total width will be 30'? i.e.- 29'9" X 49'9". Or should I just set the outer edges of the poles to 30' and 50'? I'll probably have more questions since I'm kinda just winging it. Thanks, Hutch

Re: Post location question

Thats correct. Your corner posts measured outside edge to ouside edge should be 3" smaller than the finished building size to allow for the 2x4 girst, trusses etc. I'm having the same issue trying to do a post layout myself. The one the supply company gave was just some x's and marked 8'oc which is wrong. I'm getting there but this is a pain as you have to accomodate for door openings and you cant always get a post next to a truss so I will use a header but you also want to place the man door in a location off the corner so you dont have to do much metal cutting etc. I need help in that respect

LOL