Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Smooth bore .22

Re: FOUND! Smooth bore .22 (repeater)

Pat - Here you go. Remington made a special run of their pump action .22's in smoothbore back in 2004:

http://www.remington.com/firearms/rimfire/572_sb.htm

Good luck!

Thanks for the info. I visited the web site and printed out the info. I will have a look see.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Gary was right. When I was a kid we shot in MoSkeet comp. in the Boy Scouts. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Re: Smooth bore .22

Bravo!!!! One shot one kill! [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Got my first deer with a shotgun, 9 feet (no kidding) on the ground not in a stand. He was more interested in scenting for his girl friends than paying attention to me. Deer are really tall when they take offense and stand on their back feet and look down to see where the horns are going to stick you.

Any thought to using a black powder revolver loaded up with shot? Had a lot of success cutting back to about 18 grains and #9 shot covered with a wad and some grease in a 44 cal. The newer powder is not as messy or smoky.

Have heard self rising flour will work on rats as well. Breaded on the inside.
    No fun, change the rules!!!

My Black powder pistol has the nipples removed and has beenpacked away for many years now.

There was a cross fire! I'll never shoot it again. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon, You are supposed to cover the bullets in all the cylinders with grease to prevent that spectacular situation.

My only black powder arms now are a .75 caliber muzzle loading flintlock pistol, a home brew .75 cal working model mortar and an approximate .22 cal home brew model field cannon on a carriage. I have little use for the mortar but it will launch an M-80 or a cherry bomb nicely.

The little cannon is a hoot to shoot on a picnic table or similar at a cardboard box. I once stoked it up a "bit" too much and the recoil shot it off like a rocket about 15 feet backwards into a wooden fence. It looks more rustic now.

The flintlock had really poor and spotty ignition. I case hardened the frizzen with Casenite but got only a little improvement. Inlaying a piece of a file metal was suggested but I converted it to a "matchlock" sort of... I made a little flint substitute out of a wood scrap and drilled two wooden match sized holes in it. By experimentation I discovered the best length for the matches.

In operation you do everything as if you had a flint. When you pull the trigger the hammer with the matches in the ersatz flint slams into the frizzen where one or both strikes and they are thrust into the priming powder in the pan igniting it quite reliably.

I have a Lyman single cavity round ball mold that casts 0.748 balls which gives 0.001 inches radial clearance and the ball is a friction fit with no patch. Alternatively I loaded it as an 11 ga shotgun. IT was fun to see who could shoot it a few times without flinching. The action sequence after pulling the trigger was... click, flash, hiss, boom! The click was the hammer fall and frizzen action, the flash was the primer in the pan, the hiss was fire and smoke under pressure venting out the touch hole as pressure built up in the chamber until there was an explosion and then the explosion. Several chances to flinch. Loaded as an 11 ga shotgun we used to shoot at targets thrown up into the air. You had to track the target, squeeze the trigger and continue to track the target while all the prior mentioned clicking, hissing, and booming took place or you would miss the target. Flinchers could not hit an airborne target worth beans. You had to just concentrate on tracking/leading the target and ignore everything else till it fired.

In the interim since starting this thread, I have acquired (FOR MY WIFE) a .410 pump with full choke (only choice at the time) but did find some 20ga and 12ga factory loads with #9 shot. This stuff is so un-aerodynamic that I can shoot with impunity and if I am very far at all from our cattle they will not be injured or particularly excited.

Pat

Just too funny. Crossed a primer with with a primer tool causing premature ignition and not out the barrel. Brought new meaning to the rule of muzzle control. No injuries or damage, just respect. Also can pick off dandylion flowers at 20 paces with solid ball. Just the flower.
    No fun, change the rules!!!

My hand cannon has no sights and is smooth bore so accuracy is relative (relatively poor.) I have probably fired it more with wadding only than with shot and ball added up. Neat for 4th of July, New Years, weddings, etc. I used to put it in my waist sash while sailing across the bay on a summer's twilight and look the part of a pirate. I have been known to "torch it off" to enhance the pirate effect.

Pat

Model 572 BDL Smooth Bore

http://www.remington.com/products/fi...mooth_bore.asp

Specially designed for our #10 shot 22 Long Rifle shells, often called "rat shot," the Model 572 BDL Smooth Bore is the perfect gun for shooting rats, snakes, small birds, and other small targets. The shotgun-like smooth bore barrel prevents damage to the shot and helps improve patterns downrange.

This traditional pump-action rimfire rifle is nearly identical to our classic Model 572 BDL Deluxe Fieldmaster except for the barrel. Traditional features include a high-gloss Monte Carlo walnut stock with cut checkering, blued metalwork, a shotgun-style front bead sight, and a positive cross-bolt safety. This smooth bore rimfire shoots shorts, longs, and long rifle cartridges interchangeably from its easy-loading tubular magazine.

The Model 572 BDL Smooth Bore will only be available in limited quantities. Have your local dealer contact Zanders Sporting Goods for ordering details.