Thread: ignition key

ignition key

I lost my spare ignition key for my 2000 merc sable.Is there a way to replace it without going thru dealer? They want $80 sounds like too much--Thanks Stormy

Re: ignition key

Assuming you still have a key can't you get one cut at the local hardware store or does your key contain electronics specific to your vehicle.

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I learned about those expensive keys in 2002. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] Then recently I read a news story about them, and from what I read there, $80 ain't bad at all; some are a lot more. In the past week or so, I saw a news story somewhere that a bill has been introduced in the Texas legislature to require the manufacturers to provide whatever is necessary to licensed locksmiths so they could provide customers new keys without the customer having to go to a car dealer. So, while I don't know for sure, from what I've read recently, I'd be led to believe that the only way you're going to get a new key is to cough up the $80 at your local dealership. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Electronics are involved

Yes StormY there is but it is probably more trouble than you want to do. Just do a google for >ford ingintion key> Here is one site. http://www.fordf150.net/howto/patskey.php Altough $80 seems high you do get a real ford key they have to cut it and then program it to your car. That is probably at least 1/2 hour of shop time so $80 ain't that bad.

Egon you got to get out of the days of carbuerators and hand chokes. My new truck has no distributor and absolutely no place to adjust any type of idle or fuel mixture. It is all done by the combuter. Your primary tool on any new vehicle is your laptop.

I did a little looking on the Internet and found the bill I referred to; House Bill 2295 was introduced in the 2007 legislative session by representative Joe Driver, of Garland, and in the slim event that it should become law, it would only apply to new vehicles sold or leased on or after September 1, 2008. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

With the newer PAT's keys, you need two keys to program a third key. The first thing I did when I got my wifes Expedition was buy a third key & have it cut. Then I programed it myself & now if I loose one I'll be set. Cost about $10 plus shipping from E-Bay for 2 keys & got it cut free from nieghbor.