Thread: Ham Cure Method(one less salty)

Hybrid View

Re: Ham Cure Method(one less salty)

My observation of others doing hogs makes me say I will buy my pork from the store. I have known several folks who butchered exactly ONE hog and the comments have always been, NEVER AGAIN!

Both sides of my family came from small family farms and butchered their own pork. Both used 55 gal steel drums over wood fires to scald the carcass before scraping it so that limited the size they could handle. It is quite an operation and not one that I would choose if there were viable alternatives.

I do or have done fish, frogs, turtles, rabbits, squirrels, and such but I don't do my own beef and am even less interested in doing my own pork.

I do recall my dad bringing home a fresh ham one time and we used Morton brand sugar cure on it to good effect. There is still salt in the sugar cure but not as much. If after the cured ham is sliced and before you do whatever it is you are going to do with it you put it in a pan of water and bring it to a boil briefly first, you will remove a lot of the salt. You can soak it in water over night in the fridge and then bring it to a boil before doing whatever you want to do with it and it reduces the salt content considerably. It doesn't spoil the flavor. You can boil and then fry and except for less salty taste the results are virtually indistinguishable.

If you cut back the salt in the curing process too much you will not get a good safe cure. I think it is better to put it in for food storage safety and take a lot of it back out with soaking/boiling rather than run risks by cutting back on the salt too much in the curing process. There are alternative chemicals besides salt but I like them even less than salt.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

We will be slaughtering 5 pigs in about 3 weeks. There are a couple of guys in the area that will come in, put down the pig, gut/skin/and halve it. The one we are using is charging us $30 per pig. He might be giving us a volume discount since I'd heard that it would probably cost about $40 each. I am planning on curing/smoking the hams and bacon from at least 3 of them. I had found a brine cure online, I'll have to look for the link, that I adjusted to use maple syrup with instead of sugar. I tried it on a picnic shoulder to see how it would come out. I had it in the smokehouse for 12 hours over 2 days, put it in the frdige overnight, and it came out really good and not to salty.

I had read somewheres, think it was "Story's Guide to Raising Pigs" that seasoned sausage will not last as long in the freezer.

Greg
    Kioti CK30
    19 chickens

Most pork products don't last too long around me whether in the freezer, meat drawer, or wherever so long as I can find them.

$30 seems like a bargain to me if they do a good job!

Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    $30 seems like a bargain to me if they do a good job!

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a fact. I sure wouldn't want to tackle that job for $30. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    That's a fact. I sure wouldn't want to tackle that job for $30.

[/ QUOTE ]

Neither would I, I get to do it for nothing. &lt;sigh&gt; Didnt do my hog this weekend as planned. My son forgot to move it to a seperate pen and take it off feed the day before. (Maybe on purpose?)
    [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
    So now its rescheduled for next weekend. Actually I think it will be better since it will be colder then. The only thing I am dreading is skinning the doggone thing. Am looking forward to some fresh pork though. Am going to try to cure one ham at least and of course the bacon. Our guesthouse will be unheated the next month for the most part so I figure that will work perfect for an area to cure them.

Someone mentioned Storeys Guide to raising pigs. Its not a bad read. I picked it up a few years ago when we decided to start raising our own hogs again. Its a good book for someone who hasnt ever raised hogs on a small scale and for those whom its been a looooonnnnggg time since raising any. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Not what I would call the definative guide, but it does have a fair amount of usefull info in an easy to understand format.

Dennis

Here's the link I'd mentioned earlier Brining pork We couldn't taste the salt when we did the picnic shoulder. This Sunday is the big day for the pigs. I talked to the guy doing it last week. He said it should take about 2 hours to do all 5 of them. I'm not sure how he can do it but for the price it'll be good even if it takes longer! I'm planning on taping them this Saturday to get an idea of their live weight.

Greg
    Kioti CK30
    19 chickens