Thread: Miniature Donkeys

Miniature Donkeys

My wife has an interest in getting a couple of these for our place. Personally, I see no reason for them, other than they are fun to look at. Besides, we have two dogs and I'm pretty sure donkeys of any size and dogs don't get along very well.

Anyone out there have any insight into these mini creatures? Pros and cons? Can I get a monkey and let him ride them?
    *** What we've got here is failure to communicate ***

Re: Miniature Donkeys

Was there supposed to be a link? I see no reason donkeys and dogs should not get along it just like any other animal sheep, cows, horses you just got to teach them that they belong and the dogs then become friends or guardians. I have a dog that loves one of our horses. He eats hay out of the same feeder as the horse.

Eric, I'm not sure about the miniatures and dogs. "Regular" sized donkeys are kept as "guard" donkeys to protect livestock from dogs. The donkeys will actively attack canids and can inflict damage or kill them with powerful well placed kicks.

The hype on miniatures loves to ramble on about how tame and affectionate the miniatures are but this is toward people (especially people who feed them and scratch them where they can't.) I have been where there are resident populations of "wild" donkeys, left over from animals taken out into the desert by prospectors. (Oatman, AZ) These animals act pretty tame toward people and will come right up to you to be fed and some allow petting but I wouldn't let a dog near them.

I guess one way to find out is to ask one of the closer breeders if his miniatures are dog friendly and if they say yes ask to bring your dog(s) with you when you come to inspect/buy. If they start hedging then you have your answer.

Here is a cut and paste from a miniature donkey selling site...

"Miniature donkeys get along with goats, sheep, horses, llamas."

I guess dogs are obvious by their absence.

I personally think miniatures are a fad that just hasn't quite hit the big time. At least miniature donkeys are not grotesquely malformed like many miniature horses. Maybe you could show her info on Dexter cattle or Low Line Angus. These are very small gentle breeds, quite cute, easy to keep, and serve a purpose as convenient sized feedstock for the smoker/BBQ.

I have a personal taste thing that prevents me from raising donkeys for food. Funny, but isn't the "male" diminuitive word ending in Spanish (makes the noun refer to a small familiar version of the base noun) for example: BURRO (donkey) and BURRITO?

Pat

"I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Funny you should mention eating donkey's, etc., and yes Oatman, Az is an interesting little town. If you have the time, you should read about the Oatman massacre during the 1850's. But back to eating donkey's; I had a girl friend in college that was a native German going to school here and I asked her one night what was the thing she missed the most about Germany. She said she most missed going to her favorite butcher shop and getting a stick of mule sausage. We broke up a few days later.
    2008 F-250 V-10 Loaded
    2007 Lincoln LT grocery getter
    2007 Kubota RTV 900
    1996 Ford Bronco

I have three miniature Donkey's and they are great pets. That's it, just pets. Some people have dogs, some people have donkeys. They do not like dogs of any size. Miniature donkey's will also keep your pastures free from deer, turkeys, dogs, etc. They are the friendliest livestock type of animal I have ever encountered.

Mike

I consider them nothing more than large grass eating dogs. hehe...

Seems to me a lot of people would say that cats and dogs don't go together either, but mostly they do. Depends on the dog and the cat.

Cliff