Thread: Any tips on repairing a tractor tire valve?

Any tips on repairing a tractor tire valve?

Hi, I've recently run into trouble inflating a tire on a friend's tractor. Actually, it occupied almost all of my day off for the week! We were going to do some work with it, and noticed that one tire was a bit low, so, we got out the compressor, put an air chuck on the valve (Which was at the top of the wheel's rotation), and began to pump. When I pulled the chuck off of the valve, the saline solution began gushing out of the valve. I grabbed a valve core tool, and couldn't find anything in there to turn I do know there's some kind of valve core in there, as it wouldn't have pushed in the pin on the chuck). As a temporary measure, we jacked the rear up so that the weight is off of the wheels, and capped the valve stem with a metal cap to hold in some pressure. During this process, we noticed that the other wheel had a leaky valve as well. The interesting thing is that the tractor had just been in the shop for service (an all day affair getting it to the shop and back). We don't know what was done because the owner of the tractor had brought it in for service before leaving the state for the winter, and us with his tractor. What I did notice was that both valve caps had been put on with pliers, and both happen to be leaking. I know very little about tractor maintenance, but if someone could share some advice as to how to get these tires to stop leaking, I'd really appreciate it!!

Thanks,

Kevin

Re: Any tips on repairing a tractor tire valve?

I`m no expert but,I do not know of there being any difference between tractor tire valve stems and the ones on other tires. Perhaps the valve core in the one you added air to was totaly lose and blew out when you moved the air chuck. The shop may have left them both lose and had to over tighten the valve caps in an attempt to stop the leaks. You can get a lot more information about the tractors over at the Sister site of this one. Its called Tractorbynet and has a link at the top right of these pages.

Re: Any tips on repairing a tractor tire valve?

wow! Tractorbynet! thanks for the tip. I suppose I should have tried to put in a new valve core. Tomorrow's another day.

Thanks again,

Kevin