Thread: tractor tire: Ballast level?

tractor tire: Ballast level?

So, I registered on TractorByNet, but still don't have permission to post there, and I'm hoping someone can help. I'll be paying a visit to this tractor tomorrow, and would like some advice on the ballast in the tires; I agree with Rebelmedic's diagnosis that I probably don't have a valve core in there, but my added concern is the ballast level in the tire. The tractor is (was, before the mud) jacked up, so there's no weight on the wheel. If I put air into the wheel with the valve at 12:00 position, the ballast solution comes gushing out when I take the air chuck away. My latest theory is this: Whoever put the ballast into the tires put in way too much, and thus had trouble getting valve cores installed, because ballast is added to the tire without valve cores. I tried to add air, valve core popped out, now I have problems.

So.... Perhaps someone can tell me if this is the right course of action to solve this dilemma: Let the Ballast out of the tire with the valve in the 11:00 position (I've read that 75% full of ballast is correct). Then, take a good look into the valve stem to see if there is a damaged core. If there is no core at all, put one, inflate with air, drive away after repeating the process on the other wheel.

Does someone out there have experience with ballast in tractor tires who can tell me if I'm on the right course?

Also, the ballast seems to be calcium chloride and water, at least it tastes disgustingly salty. How poisonous is it? I'm thinking of collecitng it as best as possible, then letting the water evaporate out of it, then send the salt to the landfill.

Thanks to the CountryByNet crowd

Re: tractor tire: Ballast level?

Have you tried installing a new valve core?? [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Yes, you're on the right course to let the surplus ballast out and get a valve core in there. As far as it being poisonous, I don't think so, but it will definitely kill vegetation. I had some leak out of a puncture in a neighbor's tractor tire and the grass it killed didn't come back for over 2 years.

75% is not the CORRECT fill it is the maximum safe fill. You may choose to put in less and that is OK too.

Sounds like someone way overfilled the tires and couldn't get a valve core back in the stem. I agree with reducing the fill to no more than 75% and trying to put a new valve core in. It will be easier if you jack up the wheel you are working on so you can release the pressure and drain the tire without worrying about letting the tire collapse and break the bead loose.

Also, given the terrifically dumb job that was done, I'd avoid letting them touch anything of yours in the future. You don't need any other job totally messed up.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

home in S. GA, cabin in the middle of 35 acres in WNC mountains

If your tractor has no tubes you should fill to just over the top of the rim so as to allow no air-to-metal contact, otherwise the calcium chloride will rust the rim in a short time. If you have tubes you can use any amount of fluid but no more than just above the top of the rim and of course you should have the same amount in each wheel. An air space is necessary to allow the tire to compress when you hit a rock or stump. Calcium Chloride is basically salt and not "poisonous" but not good for you or your lawn.

I would jack the tractor up to take the weight off the tires and rotate the wheel with the valve stem at a position to allow for the proper level and let it out. The put the valve stem back in. I doubt the threads on the valve core are stripped or it probably would never have held air.

Some people use winter windshield washer fluid to lessen the possibility of corrosion, and best of all is "Rim Guard" which is beet juice. It is not corrosive but is the most expensive solution. Rim Guard is hard to find in the southern part of the country but may be readily available where you are. The windshield washer fluid weighs about the same as water but offers freeze protection. Just make sure it's winter fluid. Some folks claim it can be flamable but I'd have to see it, although the vapors trapped in the air space surely would be.