Thread: Book title?

Book title?

Hi all,

Today the hot topic is global warming,(yeah, I know I can hear the groaning at my attempt at a humor), and many years ago I can remember reading a book that dealt with global warming. It was about a 93 yr. old Professor who shoots the President with a rubber bullet in order to get attention; he wants to inform 'the goverment' about his hypothosis of global warning, melting the ice caps and causing the Earth to rotate 90 degrees on it's axis; which, of course, causes "life as we know it" to perish.

However, I can't remember the title of the book nor the author, and it's bugging me! [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Did anyboby else happen to read the book and/or can somebody maybe suggest other means to find out the title or author? [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks,
    Ray

Re: Book title?

I looked and looked and looked, but could find nothing based on the description you gave. Can you think of any other details? Characters names, etc?

Hello Cindi,

Thank you for looking, appreciate it. I can't remember the main characters name, but I do remember that he had a daughter who, of course was upset with him. But like he said he was a 93 yr. old professor and what were they going to do with him, sent him to jail for life? His hypothosis was the earth was spinning like a gyroscope, and the two polar caps kept it in 'balance', but if they melted, the earth would flip 90 degrees, much like appling a force to a gyroscope( the force is felt 90 degrees away). Of course this was a radical hypothosis and the scientific community ignored him. So, in order to call attention to his hypothosis he decides to shoot the president with a rubber bullet.

I think he also speculated that when this flip happens, it happens so fast that civilizations at the time are quickly wiped out, leaving no record of what happened to them. He of course, mentions some of the civilizations we know who were "advanced" and disappeared and we don't know why. Also, he goes on to theorize about fossils being found where they shouldn't be found, but, if you accept his hypothosis, what is now living at the equator will end up dying at one of the polar caps, and what is living at the polar caps will end up dying at the new equator. And what is now dry land may end up under water, and what is now under water could become dry land.

I'm sorry I can't provide you with more, unfortunately, I'm one of those people who can remember the main gist of something but can't remember the details, and it can be really frustrating, especially years later! [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Ray

Tell me about it, I'm the same way. Well, I hope you find it, it can be really irritating when you can't think of the name of something.

It's The HAB Theory. By Allan W. Eckert.

Hi all,

Hondo....

THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

And, to anybody interested in a good book,(yeah, I know, if it's such a good book, why didn't I rember the title? Well, c'mon this was back in the late '70's and I did remember the main plot!), it is a excellent read, especially with regard to today's issue of global warming.

Thanks again, Hondo,
    Ray

Ray, as a kid, I did a lot of reading (we didn't have a TV until I was 14 and Dad didn't allow anyone else to touch the radio). But I just never got in the habit of paying attention to who the author was. So I've never been able to remember authors, with one exception. Ever since I read A Fine and Pleasant Misery by Patrick F. McManus and laughed until tears ran down my cheeks and my wife, and (then) teenage daughters thought I was crazy, I've remembered his name and have just about all his books in paperback.

You're welcome, Ray.

It's good to put my years of messing with books to use...