Thread: METAL REACTION WITH GALVANIZED

METAL REACTION WITH GALVANIZED

Recently there was a post where the subject came to the reaction of galvanized pipe to other metals. Do not know where it is right now, so posting here.

I have a galvanized frost hydrant that has been replaced once. It was hooked up to copper, right now it is hooked up to stainless steel.

The question is will I have the same problem or will I have to go to some sort of hose between the two to prevent the galvanized pipe from having a chemical reaction and leaking again?

Re: METAL REACTION WITH GALVANIZED

Any two dissimilar metals connected with an electrical conducting fluid present should allow an electrical current to be established as one will be an anode with the other acting as the cathode in a battery. This can even happen on the grain boundaries of a pipe all of the same material. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

One could install galvanic corrosion protection but for you it may be easier to isolate with a non conductor. There are isolating kits available but I do not know if they would fit your circumstances.

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]