Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spring calving

Re: Spring calving

Egon (et al), Here is a Canadian source on castration in beef.

http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/...cts/07-029.htm

I don't care where info comes from so long as I am convinced of its quality. No one country has an exclusive on knowledge.

This site seems to agree with the sum total (not that terrifically extensive) of the info I have read that I thought came from properly informed sources.

Here is another source: http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/research/2001rr/48/48.htm

OSU is Oklahoma State University which is the top echelon of our county extension agents.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

lordy Pat; just a different opinion of an expert! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I have no idea of the statistics behind the 6 week thing other than being referenced by a fellow who should have knowledge! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Me, I don't know but I do know when it is easiest! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Pat, What I can remember from college is that some of the reasons they use to castrate them around 6 months of age was to allow for some of the male features to come out, I believe that prices at that time(1970 - 80) where somewhat influence by appearance. I remember selling a calf that we banded within a few days of birth that had real strong bull charistics and another banded calf that wasn't near bull looking, the bull looking calf brought less per pound.

I also believe that they use to cull out herds after the brought them in from being on pasture, and would castrate the ones that where not wanted for replacement bulls.

I think those early practices have changed due to better feeding practices, better gains, better health care and so on. I also think that the industry moved more towards the beef of the animal than its outside appearance. jdc40

JDC, thanks for the comments.

My vet was in the cattle business to make a living and to put herself through vet school. She was older than the typical vet student and has good practical knowledge. She is happy with my practice and wants to work with me in a program to "preconditioin" my calves as part of a program to sell my calves directly from the pasture and not take to sale barn. The promise is that I can get slightly more for them and NOT have to take to auction.

We'll see.

Yeah, there are lots of varying thoughts on weight gain and how that may be increased if you keep bulls intact for xx number of weeks or months. Market buyers are looking for frames on which to hang weight, not fat cattle as fat cattle are discounted. I am providing genetically sound healthy animals with no hormone implants or such, essentially ALL NATURAL. They are essentially black Angus but not registered. If I had minimum wage cowboys handling calves by the hundreds I might do it differently but when it is me or me and a friend, they get tagged and banded when it is easy for us and coincidentally on them as well.

Next up, spraying for mites. Half of the herd is standing around rubbing on trees and hydrants. As soon as the long winter coat is shed we will spray them all with Permethrin.

I had asome with lots of warts around their mouths and eyes (near moisture.) The vet told me how to treat and the downside of not treating. Downside is cosmetic as they eventually get over it and are immune. So after the initial round of treatment I elected to not worry about it as it doesn't bother the animal, just looks like leprosy or worse. All better now.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"