Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pole Barn - Zoning!!!

Re: Pole Barn - Zoning solution!!!

The solution is simple!
    Step #1 Call wallmart!
    Step #2 Sell it to them at a tidy profit pissing off all those who live there who opposed you!
    Step #3 Buy land some place else!

That will fix their neighborhood play ground! [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

And you can have the satisfaction of letting everyone know (at the next zoning hearing where wallmart will get their permit fast tracked) that all you wanted to do was ride your friggen horse!

ARCHANGEL2003,
    Others have suggested similar things (pig farm, compost operation, gravel pit, etc). I believe Wal-Mart has already got a site within 5 miles that they are working on.

However, I think I have dropped a notch on the "evil" scale below the guy who wants to put in a dragstrip. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I have never heard about having to go before a body to get permission to build something on property outside the city.

I am on a state maintained highway so I did have to get permission to put in a culvert to cross between the highway and my property. But I did build a barn to house my tractor and equipment. The only disturbance that caused were the neighbors coming by to introduce themselves and to offer any service that I might need.

People are different in many ways but I must admit that your experience is so much different than any I have had anywhere I have visited in the US.

Best of luck... maybe you could build the barn and ask forgiveness, except that you have already gone before the commissioners and asked for permission.

We had considered just building the barn and putting tractors, etc. in it. We just planted 500 Christmas trees (see thread in CROPS) and are planning other crops and prepping the property for our move out there in several years. But, the owner of the property before us had put up a large barn and the township took him to court and got an order to remove it. It was gone when I bought the property, but I had seen it on an aerial photograph and found the court order online. I had the same expectation as you that I'd introduce myself to the neighbors and start some new friendly relationships. Wrong! Actually, one of the neighbors HAS been friendly from day one. Couple of weeks ago, I blew out my pickup truck tire while working on the property on a Sunday. Needed a new tire and no tire places open. Guy across the road took me to Sam's Club to use his membership to get a tire. Even loaned me $100 on the spot as I didn't have enough money. Now THAT's the type of neighbor I want and want to be myself.

As for culverts, there was no ditch from the dirt road to my property as I am on a high spot of the road. Just drive right in. I DO have a country drain crossing my property in the back that had a little wooden footbridge on it. Neighbor next door called the Road Commission, saying I needed a culvert at the road and called the Drain Commission about the bridge. Got cited for the bridge by the Drain Commission (was built before I bought the property with NO permit), I removed it and put in a proper culvert that I can drive tractors and other vehicles over. (Was already planning to do that, just had to add $150 for the permit to the overall cost). Road Commission came out and looked at my driveway entrance. Said I didn't need a culvert at the road. Anyway, I know the guy next door is going to be a PITA, but oh well, life is too short to fret about people like him. Just going to plant lots of trees to block my view of him and ignore him. Won't be nasty to him, I'll just pretend he's not there.

Sounds very familiar. Some places the only way to be accepted is to have a road named after you or your family when it was first settled. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
    No fun, change the rules!!!