Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I just ordered a long range varmint control tool

Hybrid View

Re: I just ordered a long range varmint control to

Actually there is one gun that I would like to have. A Ruger Mini 14 in a caliber larger than the original .223. Think it's the 6.8mm Remington that I would like. No scope though. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Well maybe?? [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon, I have often admired the Mini 14 and could have bought one at any time but I just never got around to it. There was something to be said for the .223 and that was easy cheap ammo availability but now it is a bit short in supply, I am told, due to ongoing military consumption.

The .338 is definitely a deer/elk/moose stopper (will take the wind out of the typical anti-social persons sails too.)

Unless you are just supremely blessed with slow aging eyes you would do better with optical sights, even if only a no magnification reflex sight that is like the HUD on a fighter aircraft.

Gone forever are the days when I could do really well with iron sights. I have a set of rings that have oval supports under the scope. If you reposition your "cheek weld" you can look through the rings and use the iron sights. When I got that scope and those rings I could actually do OK with the iron sights but now they are more of a curiosity except if a shot is presented at such close range as to make the scope useless. Partially blurry iron sights are better than a totally blurry scope because the target is way too close.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Well, I would actually prefer one in the .223 but that is not a legal hunting cartridge here.

Distances are short and maybe much brush so a scope could be in the way. If a scope is required there is a .243 or a .303 available. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

But in any case there is no desire to make holes in Bambi to start a lot of work.

For short ranges a decent reflex sight (miniature heads up display) is better than any iron sights. I was definitely in the iron sight camp till my eyes got too old. A reflex sight lets your eye be focused out in the distance and superimposes a red dot or whatever reticule you want in your view of the target. There is no parallax. You just see a red dot or cross hairs or whatever floating in space. You just put the dot or reticule on the target. Much faster and easier than using a regular telescopic sight and the optics don't have to be adjusted for varying ranges to give an "IN FOCUS" view of the target or the reticule (or dot.)

There are adjustments for windage and elevation just like with iron sights. Like with everything else there is just about no upper limit of price on these things but since the optics are so simple with no magnification, the simpler cheaper ones (quite inexpensive) work pretty darned good.

Pat

True, that would be the perfect answerer. As always I'm several lives behind in technology! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Jeepchick is retired from the Caif Dept of Corrections, and their std weapon is a Ruger Mini 14. We had always intended to buy one but never did. Jeepchick is a good shot, and could consistently score well over her minimum requirement in the quarterly qualification shoots. There has always been kind of a controversy regarding the Mini 14 vs the AR-15 rifles. Each gun has it's pluses and minuses, but I personally prefer the Ruger. We were close friends with one of the CDC armorers who mentioned that of the two guns, parts for the Ruger were much more difficult to obtain. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
    CJDave

Here is my favorite rifle. A K98 Mauser re barreled for 45-70. It makes nice big holes.

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Are you saying .45-70 Govmt.? As in US Cavalry, circa 1870's? [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I am absolutely fascinated by that caliber and desperately want to own SOMETHING that shoots that ancient cartridge. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
    CJDave

Yep one and the same. There are quite a few new rifles and even a pistol or two chambered for it. Marlin makes a real nice lever gun. I think they call it the guide special. You can load em rel hot if you got the courage. I would think you gotta be abnormal to shoot the pistols.

Jim, I know the practicality of the ammo carrier on the stock but it seems a shame to cover up that beautifully figured wood. A very nice looking rifle indeed.

I have ordered a replacement pistol grip for the 6.5 due to my larger than standard issue hands. It has a built in 3 round reserve ammo holder inside the grip so you always have 3 rounds available, just in case.

This 6.5 Creedmoor in AR style (A3 style flat top) is my first AR experience. The only weapon I got to use in the USAF was a .30 M1 carbine (aka pop gun) as I was stateside and not "in country" during Viet Nam fracas. It is taking a while to get used to this "black gun" but I could always paint it with racing stripes or whatever. I noticed some of the long range rifle competitors at the national matches have rifles painted about like the custom skate boards. Makes the rifles look less "menacing and sinister" and more like a fun hobby thing.

My rifle ==> http://www.dpmsinc.com/firearms/firearm.aspx?id=51

Pat