Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New guy here: Livestock question...

Re: New guy here: Livestock question...

Well, I emailed the lady, she reminded me they can't be slaughtered/breeded/sold. You also can't be outside of a 2 hour or 100 mile drive from the shelter. I'm sure we are outside that range. I'll see what I can do either way. But first we need to get fencing/shelter laid out to find out exactly what we're doing.

Kyle

Given your lack of attention to your bio I have no clue where you are, country, region, state, or whatever. Unless there is problem of which I am unaware I think lowline Angus, Dexter, or maybe oreo cattle (belted Galloways) would be a good choice. I have a personal interest in lowline Angus for commercial reasons but haven't got all the details yet and am a little swamped with projects right now.

Hard to beat a beltie for cute! For your purposes an easy keeper with a gentle personality would be important selection criteria. A small gentle animal is what I recommend, without horns.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

I mentioned it my first post. I thought I filled out my bio but I will retry. Sorry. We live in Brandywine, MD, flat, very gradual, low rolling hills.

Kyle

Well so you did mention the state and gently rolling hills. You know they say the first two things to go are your memory and your... hmm, I don't remember the other one!

I don't have a good feel for the productivity of your land but nothing in my experience would indicate anything less than at least a few acres per animal. Of course, I expect to not have to buy feed all year, just for the winter and I try not to lose $ ranching. Still, I hate to pen up animals in too small of a space for prolonged periods. Crowding brings on numerous negatives.

Be sure to stay on top of health issues like both interior and exterior parasites through de-worming and fly rubs or frequent external sprays in season. This is important to good health and well being of the animals and even more so in confined spaces.

I wish you the best of luck with your "pets" whichever breed you settle on.

Pat

Well, I thought I read the following in different books-

-Cattle need less land than (big) horses.

-Horses need at least 1- 1 1/2 acre each.

So I figure cattle need at the minimum, 3/4 of an acre each. But, as stated, we are not experienced ranchers and these were read in books I read a while back. But I think 3/4 acre per makes a good judgement and in turn means we have plenty enough for expected animals.

Kyle

Animals per acre or acres per animal is very dependent on local growing conditions. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Field hasn't been farmed for years.[img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] Used to house cattle, more than what we plan to get on less of the field. We visit the grain/feed store weekly. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Kyle

We are talking apples and anti-antiperspirants (apples and oranges are both fruits so are closer.) Stocking rates of interest to cattlemen, say a cow calf operation) are acres of pasture to SUPPORT a cattle unit (pregnant cow with nursing calf or similar.)

Out in West Texas it takes several acres per head. By all accounts I have read or heard I need from 4-12 depending on what sort of a year it is but have never personally experienced the 4 acre figure. I am grazing 21 cows and first time heifers, one bull and 13 calves at last count on approximately 120 acres with another 40 for hay but which can be grazed if needed.

Feed lots pack 'em in too. Your density figures can be higher than mine because you will supply feed and not depend on grazing. I need to keep the grass alive, not over graze it or trod it into oblivion.

Two entirely different set of requirements. Still I just don't personally like to crowd animals or have to personally deal much with their effluent. Lighter stocking ratios let nature take care of it. You don't have that option really so you will be operating significantly differently from me so my approaches and experience are of little value to you beyond curiosity and general knowledge.

I do wish you the best wth yoiur pets.

Pat

Well, like I said, we are just looking for pets. A quote is- "a hobby is something you don't mind spending money on". I believe that to be true in our small farm case. Except for some old equipment, we've never sold anything off the farm. EVER! We may do comercial asparagus and/or potatoes in some of the large garden areas for sale, but breeding/egg selling/milk selling/meat selling is something we can't handle.

Kyle

I just thought of something. There is a horse boarder just up the street from us. If we kept mini horses/cattle, maybe he would be willing to keep larger horses/donkey/mule if we ever got them, for free in exchange for help cleaning out the barn. We could also help in hay harvesting. Just a thought if we ever got too crowded...

Kyle