Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newby in the garden...

Question Newby in the garden...

Hey folks. My family and I just moved in to our new house last Sept. So this year we would like to have a garden. I have my JD 4510, a tiller, a plow, etc. Not sure what all I'll need.

Can you guys tell me what I need to do to start a garden? I have had a garden before, but it was in an established area. So how do I start from scratch? Or can you tell me where to go to read up a little on it. I have my spot picked out and it happens to be close to the well so it'll be easy to water.

I'm just looking for a little guidance. Thanks.

Bryan

The first thing I would do is just till the heck out of it. Wait for the grass to start back and til lit again. And you probably need to make plans for a fence if you don't want to feed the deer which you will proably do anyway.

Some say to spray something like Round-Up to kill the grass first, then plow and/or till, etc. But I started my garden from cow pasture by doing just what jimbrown said. If I saw grass growing and/or as soon as it was dry enough after a rain, I tilled it again.

Figure out what you would like to plant and the space needed for the garden area. Again depends how much you are growing, as you had a garden before that should give you an idea of the size you want. We have a fenced garden area in our backyard and use raised beds. Find with raised beds it is much easier on the back and for weed control. Some things we don’t bother to grow, like corn, due to the bears in our area. Also if you are gardening close to the well you will need to watch what chemicals and fertilizers you are using.

I suggest you till it, then take some soil samples to determine what might grow well. Have the soil tested or test it your self ( some counties will test your soil for free). Be sure and follow the proper collection and testing procedures.
    Once you determine the soil ph, sunlight, water and temperature conditions. You can decide what might grow well. This way your not fighting the prevailing conditions, rather working with them.
    If you think your going to pursue this hobby I would also suggest a compost pile to make good use of your yard waste and consider an irrigation system so that your plants can survive the inevitable drought conditions that seem to be common as of late.
    Check with the neighbors and see what they may be having good luck with.

Robert, I failed to mention that I got the container and instructions from my county extension agent, took soil samples, and sent them to Texas A&M for testing. Instead of deciding what to grow, based on the analysis, I told them what I wanted to grow, and their analysis told me what the soil would need, which was nothing at the time, but some things that might be needed in the future.

I second (and third) the fencing need. But then again, if you fence a large area deer will jump in. However, if it isn't large enough, they can't jump back out. Then you've got a really big mess. The easiest thing is to not plant anything. But fresh veggies can't be beat. Man, life is tough. Have I helped?

I know I'm a little late to help you this year but next year------since you have a plow and tiller. I hope its a turning plow. After your garden is done this year spread alot of manure (whatever kind you can get) and till in into the soil this fall. Plow your field early next year and let the ground dry our good then till it as deep as your tiller will go, this will get your soil softened up good and make it easy for the roots to spread. You might even want to spread more manure on it before you plow.

Quote Originally Posted by gimmodog View Post
    ............You might even want to spread more manure on it before you plow.
    I made this mistake earlier this spring. It was my first country garden, so I got a truckload of very old manure and spread it over the entire garden, then tilled it in lightly. Well, guess what old manure contains? WEED SEEDS! I got a great crop of weeds everywhere, and for some reason, especially burdock. A neighbour told me it's best to spread manure in fall, and NOT in the spring, for this reason. I don't know why this would prevent the weeds from growing though. Maybe a fresh tilling in the spring when preparing for planting just tills them under and makes them easier to deal with/
    Ian M.
    Transferred to Nova Scotia, retired at the end of June 2009!!! And bought a tractor!!!

You have some great tips here. I 100% agree with the fence, you just don't want all your hard work to go to the animals. How did it work out? I'm thinking you would have already tilled the land and started the garden. Don't give up hope if the first year isn't perfect. Sometimes it takes a couple of years to get the soil just right.