Thread: Rotisserie Chicken

Rotisserie Chicken

I finally got to do something I wanted to do for a long time. I did a chicken on the rotisserie. I looked up a recipe on the net to find out how long it might take. Apparently the time was a typo. It said 30-35 min. It took about 1:45 so maybe they meant an hour and 30 to 35 min.

After 45 min and the thermometer was not doing much yet, I checked on the net and looked at two more recipes which both gave times well over an hour.

It was delicious and really juicy. I don't bother to put anything on the outside like salt, pepper or ... since we "peel it" and don't eat the skin.

Our grill has a separate rotisserie burner that is a ceramic block that gets red hot. It is on the back of the grill so no drips fall on it. There aren't many drips as the rotation tends to run the drips around the chicken and they dry up under all that infra red heat.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Re: Rotisserie Chicken

We had gas grills, installed by the gas company, at each of our two homes from 1972 to 1989. The same rotisserie lasted all that time and we did lots of chickens, small turkey, and roasts on it. I even did a black bear roast once. And I do miss the rotisserie.

Bird, on average how long did it take to cook a refrigerator temperature chicken on your rotisserie? Anyone else care to comment on the time as well? I was just wondering if my setup was slower than average, about average, or maybe even faster (I have some doubt regarding this latter possibility.)

I was tempted to use the main burners to speed the process but that started the chicken to dripping a lot and making a fire from the fat in the dripping so I turned off the burners under the chicken.

However long it takes is how long it takes. Not a big deal if you know the time required and don't expect it to do the job in 30-35 min as proclaimed by one of the on-line recipes. Just a little bad luck in getting that erroneous info first. Had I known it would take about 1:45 I would have just started sooner and had it on time.

Pat

Pat, since it's been 20 years, I'd be afraid to say how long it took. My wife says she doesn't remember either, but she was thinking 45 minutes to an hour and I was thinking a couple of hours. Lone Star Gas Company in the Dallas area used to sell and install grills, and even though we had the biggest ones available at the time, they were primitive by current standards. We only had the main burner to use, just turned it down low.

Bird, you can't cook a chicken in 45 min without burning off the outer layers on a grill. I think the 2 hours is way closer than 45 min. Depending on how hot your grill is 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 would bracket it. 1:45 is probably pretty close for my grill with the rotisserie burner on high but no grill burners turned on.

Pat

I bought on of those Ron Poppeil rotisseries a while back. It was so easy to cook food in it. We made whole chickens, BBQ ribs, steaks and burgers. The only problem with it was it threw off a lot of heat and it was a pain to clean up after. The trimmings catcher on the bottom was a pain to clean.