Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pet Cat in the Country

I used to walk my cat on a leash too. It's rare for me to meet other people who do that too! I would suggest keeping him inside unless you are out too and he can be trusted not to take off, or if a leash is involved. My cat likes to scratch at the door and he threatens to spray things around the house to get out. It's hard to keep him in when he wants to go out so bad but it's in his best interest.

Well as the original post in this thread is over two years old the original cat might even be dead.

But anyway. I am always amazed at people that think that animals (pets) are going to run away if let outside to be animals. Our cats have a cat door and come and go as they please. They don't run off and are certainly around come eating time. The dogs run free have never been tied or chained they don't run off and know where the boundary of of property is. They might go a 1/2 mile or so chasing coyotes but thats about it. The horse are turned out they don't run off they come running anytime I go the stable, they want to be caught and ridden. We have a cockatoo that we regularly turn loose in the back yard he flys around cheeks the roof has some fun and then comes back to his cage and sits there. My experience is animals only leave home if abused or not fed. Well bulls (and stallions) will go looking for cows if you don't got any but then why have a bull if you ain't got no cows (mares).

I have three cats who go in and out as they please. I usually try to get them in at night because of the coyote, bear, and bobcats roaming around. I'm not always successful, but I do try. If they had to stay in all of the time, their lives would be a lot less interesting for them and a lot more stressful too. Keep the cat in the house for a few weeks or a few months and then let it go. It won't go far.