Thread: Selling veggies on the side of the road

Selling veggies on the side of the road

We always have way too many vegetables in our garden every year. On the years that we don't need to can anything, I let my daughter set up a stand on the side of the road (in our yard). You wouldn't believe the people that stop and buy the produce.

I am not surprised! Lots of people love fresh vegetables that may not have the time or land to grow them themselves. Homegrown is always better than the stuff you get at the store.

Not only is homegrown better than the stuff you get at the store, but it is usually cheaper as well. This is a nice idea. Do you let your daughter keep her money?

I do let her keep the money. She is the one that has earned it, sitting out there or putting it out there and then refilling it when it's low. I think it's a great way for her to earn extra money for the extra things she wants. I also think it teaches her responsibility.

When I was growing up we always sold produce on the side of the road. It was how us country kids earned extra money to do the things we wanted to do. My children are not quite old enough to man the vegetable stand by themselves but they do help me with it.

I never got to sell produce on the side of the road because we were not on a road with enough traffic when I was a kid. But I used to raise and sell okra to the grocery stores in town, and I'd take a half gallon or so of big red plums and go door to door knocking on doors and taking orders. I'd pick plums fresh the next morning to deliver to those who had placed orders. And in the Fall, I picked up pecans to sell.