Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breeding Goats

Breeding Goats

I have 8 goats, mixed breeds, all female. The pygmie mixes are short, the boar mixes are large and the alpines are tall. Since it's not in the budget to get a billy for each group, I was considering purchasing sperm. Any advice?

Artificial insemination (AI) is not something you just jump into. You would be better served to take your does to someone with bucks of the breeds you want. Pay the stud fee and your goats will be bred. You will be much happier with the results.
    AbO 2012

Cambridge, New York in beautiful Washington County, next to Vermont
    SilverVeil, what are you breeding for? If all of your goats are mixed breed, are you trying to breed meat goats, dairy goats or pets? It may not really make much of a difference what the buck is like, depending on what you're trying to breed for.
    Rich
    "What a long strange trip it's been."

I guess meat goats. I mentioned size because small billies won't be able to service the big girls and big billies won't be able to service the little ones.

I take it from your last thread that you really don't care if your girls (does) are bred by a buck of another breed. Your opening thread kind of indicated that you wanted to keep the breeds pure. Well, if it doesn't matter about mixing the breed just contact a local goat breederand ask if they will breed your does. Trust me when I say a good buck will breed all of them, large and small. A buck in rut will not be detered by the size of a doe in estrus.
    AbO 2012

SiverViel, your best bet is to breed them all with a smaller buck. As Weldingisfun said, a good buck will service them all, no matter the size. However, if you breed the smaller does to a larger buck, you might end up with kids that will be too big for the small doe to easily deliver.
    Rich

Good point about the size of the kids, RichZ. I should have thought of that before I posted my thread. Thanks for watching my back.
    AbO 2012

Hey Lee, we goat people gotta stick together!!!!!!! If we don't watch each other's back's who will????
    Rich

Thank you very much.

My niece and her husband have boers but they also have a few milkers but I'm not sure of the breed. They are of a milder disposition though. But anyway, the milkers are a bit smaller than the boers and they breed them with the boers all of the time. They don't seem to have any trouble but if they pygmies are really small you may have some of the does who have trouble delivering. I would rather keep the breeds pure though, especially the pygmies.