Thread: cowboy/cowgirl

cowboy/cowgirl

I was talking with a young woman the other day and she mentioned that she considered herself a 'cowgirl'. This young woman neither raises 'cows' or does anything that, at least in my uninformed opinion, would warrant being called a cowgirl - except maybe wearing a cowboy hat and some cute western clothes, lol!
    What is the current definition for someone who can legitimately be called a cowboy or cowgirl?

" If you reckon yourself to be one, well then I reckon you are" If this young woman likens herself to be a cowgirl, why question it. Live and let live I say.

What Johnny said.
    AbO 2012

My nine year old calls herself a cowgirl when she is wearing her hat and boots so why not? Typically if someone were to tell me that I would think they work with horses or other livestock, but to each his own.

I think it's a state of mind. I call my husband a cowboy because he breaks and trains horses. He calls me a cowgirl because I barrel race. Whatever. We know people who don't live on a farm or have anything to do with animals, but they'll dress up on the weekends and go a country bar and call themselves cowboy/girl. That's fine too.

Quote Originally Posted by whatsup View Post
    I was talking with a young woman the other day and she mentioned that she considered herself a 'cowgirl'. This young woman neither raises 'cows' or does anything that, at least in my uninformed opinion, would warrant being called a cowgirl - except maybe wearing a cowboy hat and some cute western clothes, lol!
    What is the current definition for someone who can legitimately be called a cowboy or cowgirl?
    Being a Cowgirl is a state of mind. Like a Texan, cowgirls are usually larger than life. She has an attitude, loves the country, and usually can do anything a cowboy can. It doesn't have anything to do with raising cows or owning horses. Those folks are called Ranchers.
    hugs, Brandi

The "acid test" is if she drives a pickup. If she doesn't drive a pickup, be very suspicious.