Thread: Vegetable Entrees

Vegetable Entrees

I would love to hear of any recipes that anyone has that would be an entree made of vegetables. I make a lot of sides with vegetables, but I don't know how to make a good entree using them. Any suggestions?

Ratatouille is a good vegetable main dish. It is basically a hearty vegetable stew. Put 1 Jar spaghetti sauce,1 Eggplant, chopped (peeled or unpeeled),2 Tomatoes, chopped coarse, 2 small Zucchini, sliced,1 Green bell pepper in 1" pieces,1 large Onion, chopped, 3 Cloves garlic minced, 1 teaspoon basil leaves,1 teaspoon oregano, red pepper flakes, to taste all in a large crock pot. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours. I usually serve this over pasta so my significant other doesn't notice so much that there is no meat. It can be served alone though.

Also to put a spin on that you can substitute asian type ingredient for the sauce (soy sauce, oyster sauce, Hoisin) depending on availablility in your area and make a stir fry which can be done in a big pan with the same type veggies minus the basil and oregano if you want to meat it can be thinly sliced beef or chicken and served over ramen noodles, vermicelli noodles, or rice.

Wow, both of these sound good! I had heard people mention "ratatouille", but I never really knew what it was. The name kind of makes me think about a big pot where you just throw lots of stuff in. I never even knew it was a vegetable dish. I kinda like the Asian idea, too. I may try that one tonight!

How about veggie lasagna? You can use the veggies in the lasagna instead of the meat. I use veggies for side dishes too and not too many main meals. I do make a great veggie soup though. You can make soup out of a lot of different veggies.

I make a zucchini lasagna where I slice the zucchini squash long ways into thin strips and then I use it just like I would the zucchini noodles. Everything else is exactly the same. You can also use spinach in place of the zucchini or the noodles. Either one of these dishes are delicious.

My mom makes what she calls zucchini spaghetti. She chops the zucchini in small squares. She cooks the hamburger and onion together and then adds the zucchini. This should be in a good size pot. She puts a cup of water and the necessary tomato sauce and spices. Put the cover on and let it simmer until the zucchini is done. It is really good. If you want to make it thicker, you can add some leftover rice.

I like to make at least one day a week a vegetarian day. I think it is just good for cleaning out your system. We usually have what I like to call Meatless Monday! One of my specialties is fresh marinara which consists of a can of diced tomatoes with Italian seasoning and 2 tablespoons of minced garlic. This is served over pasta of course. You can also add any kind of veggies you want like green peppers, mushrooms, zuchinni, summer squash or eggplant to make a pasta primavera.