Thread: Lice!

Lice!

Well school has only just started and we have our first case of lice. The kids have never caught lice before. Do I have to buy the chemical products from the store or is there a natural way to get ride of it. How do you deal with it?

My son had it once and I bought the chemicals. It took care of the little buggers right away. Be sure to wash everything that he has been in contact with. They are so gross! I am itching as I type this.

The only way we were ever able to get rid of them is Vaseline! They become immune to the shampoos because it is a pesticide and really do you want to put pesticide on your kids head? Slather a ton of Vaseline on the scalp and hair, leave it on for an hour or so and then wash it out and comb out any nits. The Vaseline suffocates them. Also make sure to wash all bedding in hot hot water and put hairbrushes, pillows and plush toys in a bag for two weeks!

I've heard that Tea Tree Oil works and there is a shampoo with heavy doses of tea tree in it and that will help restore the healthiness of the scalp, too. Just a thought. If you do use tea tree oil, be sure to get a good brand. Not all brands have the same potentcy as others.

Lice are very difficult to get rid of no matter what you use. A natural method is olive oil. Rub it on the head and into the hair so that the hair is saturated with it. Roll paper towels up and bobbypin them around the edges so the oil won't drip down. Cover everything with a shower cap and leave on for two hours. Wash it with hot water and shampoo two times. Do this every other day for two weeks. After you shampoo the oil out, go through the hair carefully with a metal lice comb. After two weeks, you should be lice free.