Thread: Pie crusts

Pie crusts

I want to make pie crusts and I don't know how to. I always buy the ones that are already made. Got any tips for me? I want them to be flaky but not fall apart.

I know it sounds gross but if you want them to be flaky, use lard and don't kneed them a lot. If you continue to kneed them, they will be tough. Use ICE COLD water when you put your water in. It's really not as hard as it sounds but I love the premade crusts. I rarely make one now.

I love pie crust, but the edges of mine are usually the only part that is the least bit flaky. If you don't want to use lard, is there anything else you can use and still have flaky crusts?

We've only been married 45 years, but it was probably 40 years ago that my wife made a pie without realizing she was making the pie crust with self-rising flour. It rose, pushed the filling out in the oven, etc. and she's refused to make her own pie crusts ever since; just buys ready made crusts. However, I agree with the others that LARD works best, cold water means ICE COLD, not just tap water, and many, many years ago on a cooking show on TV (and I've forgotten which one) the chef said if you want better pie crusts to use lemon juice instead of water, and if you want the best pie crusts to use 7-Up instead of water or lemon juice. Now I've gotten lazy and let the wife just buy ready made in recent times, but when I make a pie crust, I use lard and 7-Up (or Sprite).