Thread: Your thoughts when you found your perfect country place?

Your thoughts when you found your perfect country place?

We searched for years making long drives on weekends looking for a retirement "country" place. We saw an ad in a "land" real estate book and took another weekend drive. The property had a rusted crooked front gate that looked like the previous owner might have been a drunk with no brakes. There were no structures the fences were in shambles. The gate opened to a muddy road which we did not attempt and a field of thorny bushes (mesquite). As I was walking to the back of the property I noticed the black gumbo had turned to sand, the mesquite turned to magnificent oak trees, and I was walking slightly uphill. I turned around and could see the hills up to 10 miles away. As chills ran through my body my thought:
    "This is the place I will die."

That was 15 years ago and our retirement house is right where I turned around on that hill.

I thought the same! Oh My God I think I found it! It's perfect for us, it is perfect for us to raise our family here. It is perfect to have animals and farm here. I can see myself growing old here and watching my grandchildren play in the yard.

That is so awesome that you both found the place of your dreams. Where I live now, I thought this would be it forever, but I was wrong. We have had so much trouble with flooding and muddy roads and at this point I want out. I hate to say that because I thought this was it for us, but apparently we need to keep searching.

CarrieAnn, this was not the first place we bought. You learn with experience the desirable features that are important to you. Our first place like your's flooded (and not just the roads). I learned the hard way if it is in the texas coastal plains and it has large trees it will flood. After being flooded out twice in the city this time elevation was number one.