Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Maybe moving from city to country

joyful1, I spent my first 51 years in a city with more than a million population. I now live in an area that has about less than 1 house per square mile. We have lived here for 4 years. The biggest changes are:

Cons:
    Lack of choices in grocery buying. We have to drive almost a hour for a full market choices.
    "Everyone knows your name" can be bad if you are in a hurry.
    Lack of fire protection. (do you know how fast a fire can spread in 30 minutes) Have good insurance (it's higher in the country- especially all wood).
    Lack of Ambulances - closest one is 30 minutes away and a small hospital 45 minutes away. Large hospital is over an hour away.
    #1 cause of fatalities is automobile crashes. The rate per 1000 is greater here than in the city. Speed limits are faster, deer are plentiful, beer is plentiful, un-atention is ramped, the population is older, lack of ambulances.
    Entertainment is something that you are self motivated to do. If you expect to be entertained, forget it...
    Flats are plentiful - we have had 9 in the past 4 years with 3 sets of new tires.
    Garbage pickup is expensive or like I do use a burn barrel and use the county dumpster (15 miles away) 6 times a year (heavy trash day)
    No high speed internet
    No phone line
    No sewer - build and maintain your own septic system.
    (just 5 minutes ago) I vacuumed up my 15th scorpion of the year IN THE HOUSE.
    Neighbors die from bee stings, and snakebites only make the paper if you die from them. Iv'e seen 2 in the paper.
    Strays are dumped at your house often. Their life is now your decision.
    It WAS very quiet until an Oil rig set up a half mile away and now there is noise 24/7
    Delivery people always get lost.
    The roads are dust or mud always. You vehicle is always dirty.
    Poisonous snakes, spider webs, did I mention scorpions, wasp, ants.
    Some pets end up as food for the larger wildlife (so far for us only 1 cat)
    When pets get snake bit they really swell up (our dog and cat have really had big heads)
    A new house will cost more to build in the Country. (but since it sells for less you pay less taxes)
    Your fences - miles and miles.....
    (not necessarily a con, just different) Every city friend and relative wants to "get out of the city" to visit you for the weekend. Have a place for guest to sleep and plenty of food, remember its an hour to the store.

Pros:
    The people are genuine
    The air is clean
    The taxes are slightly lower (because of location the value is lower)
    Neighbors are not in sight
    You control maintenance fees
    No traffic
    Pets can run free - they don't go more than 100 yards from the house without you (still haven't figured that out)
    be Loud, no-one cares
    The woods is your private Park
    The wildlife - deer, birds, small mammals, some insects, snakes (some are fun to watch, the ones that play dead)
    Independence
    Gardens
    Tractors
    Volunteering - everyone is looking for volunteers the kind that like to work, and I mean really work, like turning a cow field into a dining room for 1200 people (VFD fundraiser always in August when it is 104 degrees - this maybe should be in the cons list)
    Fundraiser dinners - at least two a week, the meals average $7.50 (and they still make money).
    Weddings and funerals and showers and graduations and etc... always food and friends

My wife says don't do it, I say go for it, you can always move back.

(Real country folk will say "stay in the city" so the country does not get overpopulated. I guess my wife is more country than I am.)

Photo below Country entertainment Labor Day 2010 - water volley ball

Wow, TXDON! Thanks for your input! I guess where we are looking, it may not be quite as "country" as perhaps what you have. We're not sure it's going to happen yet. The company sent my husband an "assessment" that took him three days to complete, all essay questions. It would put us far from my family, except for my brother. We're so excited about the thought but we would have the ability to live in town as well. We'll have to check that out further once we know more.

County living is much different than City. I agree on TXDON said. I couldn't go from my country upbringing to the city life that is for sure! I am not sure how my sister does it, but she seems happy and I am happy right here!

One thing that has really surprised me was the cost of home grown organic vegetables. By the time you figure the organic mulch, irrigation, deer fence, rabbit fence, and electric fence for the raccoons, tiller and plow for tractor, they are about $125.00 per pound.

Remember!

Quote Originally Posted by joyful1 View Post
    We've been tossing around the idea of moving from our city to a small piece of land in the country. It may even be to entirely different state (east coast to Montana). Any advice?
    If you decide to make the move you must keep telling city people how hard it is, and how miserable you are in the country. That way they will stay in the city. Otherwise the country may become the city?