Thread: Sunday lunch with the family

Sunday lunch with the family

A Sunday roast is a tradition here in the UK and what better way of spending time with the family than a get together over a carvery in the local hostelry? Do you have places like this in the USA?

Quote Originally Posted by stantheman View Post
    A Sunday roast is a tradition here in the UK and what better way of spending time with the family than a get together over a carvery in the local hostelry? Do you have places like this in the USA?
    carvery? hostelry? Naaaa. Not where I live. No carvery here. I might start a carvery or a hostelry if I knew what it was.

You got me curious about that carvery and hostelry thing. It is not common in the USA, but a hostelry or an inn is more common. Take a look here: Carvery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    and here: hostelry - definition of hostelry by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

I've never been to either a carvery or a hostelry but we did always have a Sunday roast when I was growing up and although we don't have one every Sunday now we do it every once in a while as we barbecue mostly.

Ahh the difference between English and American. A carvery to me would be a place that sells knives and this is a holstelry

Western Holsters, Buckles, Spurs, Straps, Conchos, Knives, SASS

It would be a nice thing to do, but all of my family have lived so far apart for years, that something like this just isn't possible. When I did live in Germany, however, all of the town people would get together on Sundays and eat and drink. That is how everyone knew everyone from generations on down. I guess it's just a European thing!

I suppose it is peculiar to the Europeans. I know that even in Tenerife you can get a good Sunday roast in the pubs but they advertise it as a "British" Sunday lunch and it's aimed at the tourists.