I have bought tools at pawn shops but you have to know the tools and what they would cost via other venues or you could easily pay too much. It is definitely a caveat emptor situation and to do well you need to know the tools you are buying fairly well. Some will be bargains and others may be priced like new or higher. When I needed a skill saw to cut masonry stuff with I bought a cheapie at a pawn shop as I didn't want a good tool eating all that abrasive dust. Now 4-5 years later it is still running well with its noisy bearings which may some day fail. Some of the pawn shops I have tried to buy tools at just gave me the odd 2-3 end wrenches I wanted. This has happened at two different shops.

I bought a Craftsman socket/ratchet set complete and like new in 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 inch drive, with ratchet handles for 1/2 of Sears price BUT that was a rare find.

The key to getting a bargain at a pawn shop is your level of knowledge of tool prices and quality and the ability to just keep on walking rather than compromise too much.

Craig's List, eBay, flea markets, garage/yard sales and the like are all good possibilities but no guarantee of quality/$ so you have to know tools and their approximate prices to avoid wasting $. Good buys ARE OUT THERE.

Pat