Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Childhood Vaccines: Tough questions, straight answers

When the doctor told me about the vaccines that need to be given to my child, I asked him a lot of questions, especially the whys and what fors before I make my choice to go for it or not.

"Whooping cough spreads in upstate New York and nationally"

Whooping cough spreads in upstate New York and nationally - Rochester infectious disease | Examiner.com

"Public health officials will be studying this outbreak for some time but the connection to parental refusal of vaccinations appears striking. Twenty states allow some form of exemption from mandated immunizations based on the strong personal belief of the parents. As of the Week 44 MMWR, those twenty states account for 74% of all reported pertussis cases in the United States."

How do you get your kids in school if they are not vaccinated? Even to attend college, my son had to have a copy of his vaccination record.

Well, there you go:

Retracted autism study an 'elaborate fraud,' British journal finds - CNN.com

(CNN) -- A now-retracted British study that linked autism to childhood vaccines was an "elaborate fraud" that has done long-lasting damage to public health, a leading medical publication reported Wednesday.

Why is it that ignorance and superstition "trumps" the best medical research and statistics available in the minds of some people??????????? Yet more conspiracy theories, eh? A sample of one person raising one healthy child without vaccinations proves NOTHING.

I had a boil like "thing" come up in an arm pit. It got real sore and then went away. As it was fading away a second one appeared an inch away and it got real sore and faded away. A few months later the same thing started up on my tush. I expected the same progression of events... W R O N G!! I had surgery to help correct the problem, three weeks of antibiotics, and I'm still changing bandages twice a day. A doctor visit when it started would have nipped it in the bud but I knew "better" from my limited previous experience.

There is ignorance and stupidity: Ignorance is dangerous but can be cured through education. Stupidity has no cure. To purposely remain ignorant is a stupid choice. This is not rocket surgery or brain science!!!!!!!! We have decades of statistics. Forget the TRASH circulating on the internet and take a look at VALID information sources.

I know people who will not wear a seat belt because there is a one in a million chance that they might be trapped in a burning car with a jammed seat belt. Statistics show that seat belts save many many more lives than they endanger. (You can buy a seat belt cutter/glass breaker to carry with you if you are that paranoid.)

The benefits of vaccinations to the vaccinated individual and to our society as a whole far outweigh any risk. It is a no-brainer to choose to follow the best medical advice available. I'd be very suspect of a doctor who would "go along" with ignorance and superstition to get a client. People "shop" for doctors all the time looking for one who will tell them what they want to hear rather than the truth.

Topical humor: Lady goes to doctor complaining of pain in ankles, knees and feet. Doctor tells her it is overloading due to her obesity. She indignantly says she will have to have a second opinion so the doctor says, OK. you're ugly too!

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Quote Originally Posted by Bird View Post
    LostInTheWoods, of course you're right, but you'll never convince some people who have "done their own research" since they have more medical training and medical knowledge than any doctor. I wish there'd been a vaccine for polio, and a number of other "childhood" diseases, before I got them as a kid. We have some friends, both college educated, who have a 6 year old girl and a 2 year old boy. And I really feel sorry for the kids because the parents don't believe in vaccinations. Incredible!
    My wife at the age of 4 contacted polio and the medical treatment at that time was to wait until the fever was over before the rehab. was undertaken. also a neighbor friend contacted polio as child and lived in iron lung the remainder of his life.
    When Dr. Sabine and Salk came out with the sugar cube with vacine in the cube our 2 children was as quickly as could locate where received the cube. We never asked the kids if they wanted the treament. Remember the whooping cough in school sounded like the child would ruin there lungs before could breathing again the small pox getting scratched on arm leaving a scar my folks never asked me if I wanted. T.B. treament was a place removed from the public to heal or die. And now some one can look at web site of idiots and decide the shot to help there child grow with a healthy chance to live to a old age is dangerous so will not allow. Also think Incredible!