Thread: Chickens not laying

Hybrid View

I'm convinced that we have lazy chickens. They know we aren't going to stew them, so they lay an egg or two only when they feel like it.

We put out minerals, they always have fresh food and water, the proper amount of light, a good amount of exercise, and yet they are producing little. A friend told us that they need stimulating; she has a radio going in her coop. The day after I spent some 'quality time' ours, we got eggs out of 50% of them! I am beginning to think they just need something that is not routine each day.

Quote Originally Posted by JazzDad View Post
    I'm convinced that we have lazy chickens. They know we aren't going to stew them, so they lay an egg or two only when they feel like it.

We put out minerals, they always have fresh food and water, the proper amount of light, a good amount of exercise8 month, and yet they are producing little. A friend told us that they need stimulating; she has a radio going in her coop. The day after I spent some 'quality time' ours, we got eggs out of 50% of them! I am beginning to think they just need something that is not routine each day.
    8 months and your still not getting production.....it's pretty clear the weather has nothing to do with it. I'm sure you know about this website :Chicken Learning Center - Raise Chickens, Incubate Eggs, Hatch Chicks
    It's pretty comprehensive, I noticed they mention that a common reason for lack of production is predators. Is it possible something is getting your eggs before you do? A snake will get your eggs, leave, and there won't be a sign that it was there.
    On the other hand after this long I should think you have noticed something..... I have had no prbelms with production but I have had predation, on eggs and more so on chickens......just a thought