Thread: Saying Hello!

Saying Hello!

Hello,

I'm new to the board but have learned alot from my time reading all the great posts.
    We recently purchased 36 acres of land, 1/2 farm, 1/2 wooded and are preparing to build. We've gotten a good perc, and drilled a well just a few days ago.
    I'm sure to have tons of questions for those who have already ventured. Just wanted to check in.......... [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Re: Saying Hello!

Hello and welcome to the CBN forum! [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] Great place for advice and thoughts... Congratulations on your country purchase - sure that you'll love it!

'Course, there'll be issues along the way [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img], but that is part of the fun... [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

<font color="red"> I'm sure to have tons of questions for those who have already ventured. Just wanted to check in..........
    </font color>

Welcome. Come on in, take a seat. we got a pot of coffee brewing. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Now are far a questions go. I guess I am qualafide to tell you what NOT to do with your new house [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
    Paul Bradway

Where are you located? Most of us here have learned from our mistakes so you may as well learn from them too. Ask all the questions you want.

Last year we finished building our new home on 23 acres of open and wooded land in Upstate New York. It was the smoothest project I have ever done once we started building. Hired great subs and only had a few problems pop up.

It is all in the planning.

You're doing what I am on the verge of doing. Congrats! I will be watching your progress with unnatural interest because I like to learn from other people's mistakes... [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Welcome.

Thanks guys! I'm located just north of Maryland. Took me 2 years to find a piece of property. I'm waiting on a surveyor, and then I'm going to clear the homesite. I need to get some equipment in to clear stumps, and logging debris. Should I pay someone, or try to rent the equipment? I'm pretty good at operating machines..

<font color="green"> Should I pay someone, or try to rent the equipment? I'm pretty good at operating machines.. </font color>

I have done it both ways and find that most times if there is a lot of work then hire a pro.

In our area there are three or four very good contractors that need small jobs to fill in between the larger ones. There have been times when the machine gets dropped off and a week later the operator shows up to do the work. That is OK with me for most projects. A good operator can do five times the work I can and a better finished product.

There is still the fun factor of seat time on a real machine that is just hard to pass up. There is a creek crossing in need of a culvert in the near future. That is small enough for me to play with all day.

Thanks Tenebrous, I was thiking I'd get more bang for my buck with the experienced guy operating.

[img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] I'll try to keep everyone informed.......

Glad you're here, and good luck with your adventures... [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

You probably do want to think about getting a small tractor at some point, but Tenbrous is right. For big jobs that need to be done right hiring a professional is the way to go. Don't know what costs you'd be looking at out there but here you can get an operator and equipment for $50+ an hour and they can get more done in a few hours than it would take an amature like me a couple of days.

'Course, they get to have all the fun that way - I keep the less important projects for myself [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]...