This is a new one to me! My septic tank backed up, and it was pumped out 16 months ago! My house is less than 4 years old. Now I start to panic that I have a defective drain field. So, I called the septic pumping company, and the guy tells me it is probably my septic filter. After hearing this, I think he is pulling a fast one. He said he would be out the next day, and I said, "I gotta see this, and I will be there!". I am thinking he is going to rip me off, and I am ready for him to prove his point. So he opens the tank and sure enough it is full and putting back pressure on the drain from the house. I say, where is the elusive filter! He says it is on the other side, and he digs out the septic tank cover for the other side. Sure enough, he opens it, and pulls out a plastic strainer looking filter! The water rushes into the drain field in seconds! I said what the heck is this?? A filter on a drain field? He said it is a good concept idea, but grease, slime, and hair plug it up fast! Now I sit here just amazed! I have a septic tank filter!

At my old house, I never had a filter and it didn't get pumped but every 10 years... This filter has caused me some money!

Should I leave the filter out, or put it back in? All I can say is the filter is like a pool strainer, with about the same 1/8" openings. The thought of cleaning it is a little disturbing. Almost like the TV show, World's dirtiest jobs...

Thanks,

Joe