Rob, your brake controller sounds like the same type as the first one I ever had, in 1972 on a '71 3/4 ton Chevy, when I didn't know anything at all about them and that's what the RV dealer installed on my truck (undoubtedly because it was cheap). I don't remember what brand it was, but it was not a Reese, and I did not like it. In fact, the next time I got a controller, it was a Reese, but it was the type that, in addition to the electric wires, had a steel line running from the controller through the firewall and tapped into a "T" in the brake line at the master cylinder. I used that one on a '70 Olds and a '72 Chrysler station wagon and think it was the best there was in those days. As you increased pressure on the brake pedal, the increased pressure going into the brake controller also increased the amperage going to the trailer brakes. Of course, I don't know, but don't think anyone even makes that type anymore because I don't think you want to tap into the hydraulics on these modern brake systems.