Been to a couple Boy Scout camp outs with my son recently. One of the things they did, was use a dutch oven to cook blackberry cobbler. For the Adult leader dinner, we had a pot roast, and for breakfast an egg/potatoe/bacon/cheese "Coronary Special" done in the dutch oven.

For all the tons and tons of camping my family did when I was growing up, we never cooked like that. We always did stove top stuff, on the trusty 3 burner Coleman stove that I still use, even after 40 years...

We did use a dutch oven in the kitchen, or on stove top. But, it was mostly stews. My Mom's dutch oven did not have legs, and the lid was not made to hold coals.

At the two recent campouts, they used briquettes to do the cooking. The dutch oven had legs; they set the oven on top of some briquettes, and then placed som on the lid too.

Does anyone cook with coals from a campfire? Seems like it should work; I can't imagine briquettes have always been used. Seems like campfire coals may be a little less predictable to cook with though.

Anyone have some recipes? The blackberry cobbler was REALLY good. I need to contact the leader who made it, and get the recipe...