Thread: Building a pond

Building a pond

I just heard from the real estate agent. I now own a house on 5 acres. The property has what I think is a perfect spot for a small pond. Right now it looks like a dry wash (no rain in 40+ days) in a low area of the property. My question is ,can I get assistance from the county/state on how to do such a project. I know I need building permit from county.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Building a pond

Contact your local Soil Conservation Service office. If they're not listed in the government pages, try calling the USDA, as they are sometimes headquartered together. This should get you started.
    Fishman

ShopRat,

You actually need a permit for a small pond? [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
    TD

Yup, you do in most places. Around here you can get away with a small pond with no permit but if you move more than something like 200 yards of dirt you need a permit, soil test, etc.

On the other hand, nearly all of my neighbors have pretty good sized ponds, and I don't think any of them bothered with a permit [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]...