Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Do-it-yourself house building...God help us

Re: Do-it-yourself house building...God help us

Thanks guys - it's VERY good to have him home. Doc says NO LIFTING for at least 6 weeks, and then 4 months until he can start back on the house. Looks like I'll be building without a supervisor for awhile (no telling what that thing will look like when I'm finished). [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
    Keith Foster
    Katy and Yoakum, TX

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Looks like I'll be building without a supervisor for awhile

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd bet there would be nothing wrong with him "supervising", but I'd also bet he's the kind of guy who can't supervise without pitchin' in to do more. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Yep - he's not much for sitting around and watching. That and the fact that the doc doesn't want him driving for 6 weeks (property is 105 miles from the house). [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
    Keith Foster
    Katy and Yoakum, TX

<font color="blue"> I'd bet there would be nothing wrong with him "supervising", but I'd also bet he's the kind of guy who can't supervise without pitchin' in to do more. </font color>

That reminds me so much of the way my Dad always was. That's the generation that made America great. Tom Brokaw said it best... The Greatest Generation.

Take some video of what's going on and show them to him. That way he can supervise without being on site and he'll still feel a part of the process. Believe me, that will be very important to him. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Good idea. But then again, the shoddy workmanship might cause him to have another heart attack! [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Just kidding of course. I'm a bit of a perfectionist myself, so I'm sure I'll do just fine on my own. However, it's always nice to have the voice of experience so I don't have to make "all" the mistakes. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    Keith Foster
    Katy and Yoakum, TX

We all wish your dad well and all I can say is get him to the site as soon as it is safe. Let him do what the doctor will allow so he can feel that he is doing something to help.

While building our house, I fell and damaged two vertebrae and broke two ribs. While I followed the advice of my doctor, I had to fight with wife and son to get back to the site. It was much harder for me to be home recuperating than at the site minding my doctors orders. I was uncomfortable but being there just made me feel better.

All the subs were ordered by my wife to not let me do anything but I did do jobs that did not violate my doctors orders. Agreed there were not to many things I could do as ladders, bending and lifting were not permitted. However it became a joke of the workers as they saved jobs just for me. They all accused me of wiring all the electrical switches multiple times just to make it look like I was busy. I could not bend to do the plugs or climb the ladder to do the cans.

If your dad is like me, just being there will lift his spirits. I really felt that I had let everyone down when I took my flop. There was so much work to do and I could not help by staying home watching TV. I tired quickly and had to throwing the towel a few days but each day I got a little better. My strength returned, the ribs and back healed in time for the big push to finish the house.

I wish your dad a speedy recovery and know how he must feel right now.

Take care,

Tim

Tim,

I plan on having Dad back at the site as soon as fessible - but I did tell him that if he gets up from the chair it's back to the house for him. We were talking the other night and he commented that he would take a look at the plyboard on the rafter to see if he felt it was supported correctly. I had to remind him that the plyboard was on the roof rafters and the only way he could see it was to climb the ladder - and that ain't gonna happen. Dad's the type that can't, won't, and couldn't sit by and watch others at work. So for his health it's best he follow the doc's orders and stay home for now. I've already reminded him that the house is only a very small part of the total number of projects we have in mind for the property. We still have a second and larger house to build, a storage shed, a 16 stable barn, a maintenance shed, a hay storage facility, a three car garage, etc., etc., etc. In other words, there will still be plenty to do once he has recovered. No sense in rushing things now. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    Keith Foster
    Katy and Yoakum, TX

<font color="green">In other words, there will still be plenty to do once he has recovered. No sense in rushing things now.
    </font color>

Rushing his recovery or not listen to his doctor are the worst things he could do.

Please give him my best wishes and tell him you will check that ply out very carefully.

When I decided that being on the staff at the local Boy Scout Camp didn't pay enough, I went to work for a relative who built those shells. It was a different company though, named all their models after former Presidents. It generally took this 4 man, 2 boy crew about 4 days, starting with an acceptable foundation. Maybe a day more if we had to true things up a bit. We got so good the company had us running all over the east coast building sales offices. Sure got to meet a lot of interesting girls that way. My hat is off to you, hope everything works out ok.
    A man's likely to mind his own business, if it is worth mindin' - Eric Hoffer

Sorry to hear about your dad, but I'm happy to hear about the recovery.

Another way to think about the whole ordeal is that thank God you were all together building the house when this occured. It could have happened while he was alone for a walk or just driving to the corner store.

If you ask me, you guys are heros: for getting him cared for so fast, and second for being the kind of family that takes the time to work together and apparently enjoys it so.

I have too many friends whose families are so caught up in jobs, their own families, that other than an occassional call and a visit during the holidays...well you know where I'm going.

Best wishes to your Dad's health. And to the many more days pounding nails.

r-y