Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Water Softener (WaterBoss)

Water Softener (WaterBoss)

My Waterboss isn't yet installed, but I have a question regarding softeners in general. I know how they work with the ion exchange and such. But the question is: what are the advantages/differences of using Potassium Chloride vs. Sodium Chloride? The potassium costs more I know, so why would you wish to use it instead of sodium?
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

Re: Water Softener (WaterBoss)

As I understand it, they are loaded with polystyrene beads. Calcium ions replace Sodium ions stuck to the beads, so you end up drinking very dilute Sodium Bicarbonate (baking soda) solution instead of Calcium Carbonate (what mostly makes the water hard). Baking Soda is not 'hard' per se. When the brine washes through the beads, the Calcium combines with the Chlorine in the salt, and you flush out Calcium Chloride (as well as extra brine). Now the beads are 'charged' with Sodium again.

Anyway, some people's blood pressure has a sensitivity to Sodium ('salt'). A lot more people are paranoid of salt, and are convinced it causes high blood pressure (which is a different thing entirely), and go out of their way to avoid it, even though salt is good for you. The worried ones, or those with Sodium sensitity, want to use Potassium Chloride, even though there isn't much sodium in softened water.

But you then have to consider the potassium that's added to the water. For most of us, the extra potassium would be good for you. There may be some, however, with a sensitivity.

Then there's disposal. My salt water gets dumped on the ground. It has hurt the grass but where I put it now it doesn't matter. I say it doesn't matter, but environmentalists might disagree. But potassium I understand is actually good for plants. And if you dump into into your septic you have to consider that too.

I just switched over to potassium chloride as I believe it's healthier (maybe so, maybe not) and because I do have high blood pressure. I'm still waiting to see if I can tell a difference as it hasn't recharged yet.

OK, so as I wasn't smart enough to plan for a brine discharce that bypasses the septic tank, potassium might be better tahn sodium. I'm not worried about the possible blood pressure issue, but making my septic system work better sure interests me.
    Gary

I've been using the Potassium Chloride in my softener since it was installed 4 years ago for the reasons that have been mentioned: 1) I have high blood pressure so I don't need any additional sodium (however small) and 2) My discharge goes into my septic tank and my research cautioned about the dangers of pumping sodium out into the leach field. I could not find anything that specifically said that Potassium is OK in a septic leach field - just that Sodium is not. And I don't have an alternative way of getting rid of the discharge (especially in winter) other than the septic tank.

You might wish to read this Adobe file water softner. There has been alot of information published about the effects of sodium on the soil. The bad effects are more prominent in clay type of soils. Here in Texas more and more people are going to potassium chloride instead of sodium chloride.

Randy

Interesting artical. Thanks for the link. As it's only my wife and myself I don't think using potassium will inflict too great an expense.

Softener should be installed next week. Guess I'd better buy a bag of pellets.
    Gary

Very informative article. Conclusion is that it will not hurt septic system. I still like my not adding to septic demands. And where I have it installed there's not really a drain for it anyway. I had one in house but then decided that 1) I could use the extra space and 2) I heard that the dust from adding salt didn't do you any good. So I moved it to the garage and after a while noticed that everything was rusting. Now I have it outside, I don't store salt - buy it and use it. Rusting problem is gone. The Waterboss gave up the ghost after about 3 years and I now have a much bigger capacity system from Ohio Water.

Hey Gary, I'm still doing research on the best way to soften my water. The brine disposal issue is hanging in my craw. What do you think about discharging it into a pond? The pond I'm talking about is land-locked on my property, so I'm not affecting some public waterway. On the little ornamental/ fish pond we have now, the fish benefit from some salt. On the big pond, the fish might also enjoy this water softener by-product, and I'm not killing grass, or upsetting the septic system biological balance. Just another thought...

Well, the WaterBoss uses less water/brine to recharge than a lot of units do. I wish I had thought to provide a separate drain line for the discharge. Now the discharge has to go to the septic tank. Or I need to tear up the concrete floor!

I think I'll use potassium and not worry about it. With two folks and a septic sized for three bedrooms I'm not too worried about the hydraulic load.
    Gary