Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cupola info?

cupola info?

I'm looking for plans or design ideas (hopefully free!) to build a cupola for my little barn (24x24). I have some thoughts in mind, but have never done this before...
    I'd also be interested in hearing others opinions on sizing of a cupola, as "common consensus" is either 1, 1.25 or 1.5 inches per foot of ridge length. My ridge length is 28 feet so my cupola should be either 28", 33" or 42" depending upon who you ask!

many thanks!
    Mark

Re: cupola info?

I'm currently building myself. I too will but a cupola up. My architech suggested making one out of cardboard. A pretty easy way to check sizing.

Think I'd go for the 24 in. size. Will this be working cupola or one just for looks?

Egon

just for looks...

I like the cardboard idea...right now i'm leaning towards 30-33" at the base, i can always make it smaller... [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

OK, I lied...my ridge is 26'... so i went in the middle at 32" wide at the base...here's sorta what it will look like...look ok?

I had functional one on a 24x24 garage I had at my previous house. It was 36"x36" so I could fit a $10 box fan in the hole in the summer. Even though the garage had a 2-sided roof I built the cupola with a 4-sided "hip" roof. My first attempt was too tall and looked like a chimney so I ended up cutting it down from about 20" to 14" on the taller sides, stuck a weathervane on top and it looked great.

If a weather vane is installed should it be grounded?

You don't need to ground it. In fact, if you did it may attract MORE lightning. Check out Denningers site. I got a finial from them and they were very helpful. I think he talks about lightning on his site [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Rob

Thanks much! I knew someone here would know the answer.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    You don't need to ground it. In fact, if you did it may attract MORE lightning. Check out Denningers site.

[/ QUOTE ]

I bet the National Lightning Safety Institute will agree to stop making finials if Denninger will agree to stop giving lightning advice. Here's a reputable source that describes lightning rods:
    Lightning rods