Thread: Solar stove

Solar stove

I ran across an article the other day about a company, I can't remember the name, that sells a solar stove. It's roughly 20" x 20" and about 11" deep, and it's priced at about $250. Would you consider buying something like that?

I have considered buying a solar stove before but as Meghan says, you can build your own solar stove very cheaply. I would be interested in hearing if any has bought one before though, and how it worked for them.

Please don't laugh, but why would you need a solar stove? We're not well-versed in "green living" and we are learning to make some changes. Would it be like a dehydrator for outside?

Mainly to save fuel, electricity, or trees (for outside cooking), and cutting down on fume emissions; its one of the cheapest ways to make a green living change but you'd have to be totally committed to go this far as it takes longer to cook meals, it basically works like those sun things people use to tan with but you can bake, steam, roast with it although I've never tried.

As mentioned, I don't think I would spend the money on one because it can be done in a homemade fashion for a lot cheaper. The only way I could see a difference is if it was capable of "storing" energy and offered a shorter cooking time than a homemade contraption.

I am new at this too. Could someone tell me how this work? Any good recipes? I probably sound really ignorant, but I think this wouldn't work in the winter, right? How long would it take to roast a pork shank?

In all honesty I've never heard of a solar stove. But for $250 I'd be interested in trying it out to see how it might fit into my home. I have solar panels on my roof so I'm certainly interested in the technology and the possibilities.

I am trying to live greener but this is pretty new to me also. About the price, $250 is not unaffordable but I would rather go for the cheaper options.