Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Childhood Vaccines: Tough questions, straight answers

I had my first son vaccinated on time all the way to a year old then didn't do the others until he turned 4. The doctor got mad at me that I wanted to hold off, so I switched doctors to one that would accept what I wanted to do and would respect my choices. I have a newborn now and will probably do the same. And the 4 year old is advanced in every way according to his teacher and his doctor gave him a clean bill of health last week so no harm done.

LostInTheWoods, of course you're right, but you'll never convince some people who have "done their own research" since they have more medical training and medical knowledge than any doctor. I wish there'd been a vaccine for polio, and a number of other "childhood" diseases, before I got them as a kid. We have some friends, both college educated, who have a 6 year old girl and a 2 year old boy. And I really feel sorry for the kids because the parents don't believe in vaccinations. Incredible!

Quote Originally Posted by Bird View Post
    LostInTheWoods, of course you're right, but you'll never convince some people who have "done their own research" since they have more medical training and medical knowledge than any doctor. I wish there'd been a vaccine for polio, and a number of other "childhood" diseases, before I got them as a kid. We have some friends, both college educated, who have a 6 year old girl and a 2 year old boy. And I really feel sorry for the kids because the parents don't believe in vaccinations. Incredible!
    Bird, of course I feel you are correct. And a college education, while it should develop critical thinking and a respectable knowledge base for making logical decisions, often accomplishes nothing more than putting a piece of paper on the wall.

Personally, I feel that withholding appropriate vaccinations is borderline criminal. Not only are you risking the health of your own children who depend on you to provide their needs, but you are also placing others at risk. If you or your children contract a disease that you chose not to be vaccinated for, then you carry the potential to expose others to the same disease.

Your friends' children will probably fare well enough, not because their parents made the right choice, but because the vast majority of other parents make the right choice and diseases such as these have a hard time spreading though a (mostly) vaccinated population. Our world is becoming a smaller place, however, and with ever increasing international travel, I would not be surprised to see a resurgence of these "old" diseases. Many of those who have done their own "research" have likely never seen a person that's suffered from polio (often resulting in permanent disability), never known someone who survived mumps but was left infertile, and have never known a child that was killed by measles (or survived, but was left with brain damage). And the reason that they likely have never known of someone who has suffered through those things is due to an effective program of vaccinations.

Well, regardless of what everybody says. I rather have my kids vaccinated which I did right on schedule than have them get really sick from something we have a vaccine against. I think the pros are more than the cons. For many this will be my uneducated opinion, but ultimately everybody have to go on their instinct and live with the consequences.

I can not say what has happened to others but I do know what has happened to me. I never had a vaccine in my life. I have a son with autism who has never had a vaccine in his life. I don't know what causes it but what ever it is I wish they would figure out for sure. Arguing what caused it doesn't cure my son. Oh well, just my experience and my sadness wishing for a cure.

I think vaccination is a good idea. Children who don't get vaccinated are themselves at risk, and so are others, such as small babies who are too young for that particular vaccine.

All of my kids had every one of their vaccinations. I think the risk of not doing it is worse than doing it. Mine had no problems. I have read articles where parents had problems with the shots, but I think the mojority of the kids haver no affects from being vaccinated. Just my opinion.

"Calif. whooping cough outbreak may be largest in 55 years...
    Over 4,000 cases, 9 deaths reported this year; decline in vaccinations blamed"

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39220447...tious_diseases

If it were not for vacinations this whole country would still be overrun with smallpox, polio and probably cholora.

I have read all of this with much interest as my youngest child is now 29 and my oldest is 38, and even back then this debate was raging. No one knows everything and, in fact medical knowledge is improving all the time, however those at the top of the profession providing the "experts" with all the answers are often associated with the huge pharmaceuticals who make money by selling the vaccines.