Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Price of Eggs?

We sell our farm fresh eggs for $2.00 a dozen. The going prices for a dozen in this area seem to range from $2.00 to $3.50.
    AbO 2012

Like a lot of things, prices fluctuate. I see in my earlier post, I was paying $1.96 a dozen for jumbo eggs about two and a half years ago. They went down to $1.38 a dozen and then back up to $1.84 a dozen since then at Walmart; most in other stores. So $2 for farm fresh eggs would be a bargain.

Man I'm telling you that the price of eggs is outrageous here in NY too. I was shocked when I went to get eggs last week. When did they jump so high? I used to be able to get a dozen for under a buck and now it's closer to $2. I have a friend who has chickens and they are giving us eggs. I told them I would start buying them from them. I'm not too sure if I will like brown eggs though!

I'm not too sure if I will like brown eggs though!
    Brown eggs are more expensive than white ones in the grocery store, but I don't know why. When I was a kid and we had chickens, most of the times it was white eggs, but some years we had chickens that laid the brown eggs. As far as eating them, unless you saw them still in the shell, I don't think you could tell any difference.

Eggs are expensive where I live, farmer up the street sells em for $2.50 a dozen, that is about going rate, between $2.50 and $4.00. It sucks, Milk is high here too, about $7.00 for a gallon!

Milk is high here too, about $7.00 for a gallon!
    Wow! Where do you live? I just went to Walmart for milk an hour or so ago and found the same crazy thing I noticed last week. I don't like the so-called skim milk, low fat, 2%, etc. I want whole milk, but the fact is that my wife and I use so little milk that I normally buy a half gallon with a good chance that half of that will sour before we use it. But today I bought a whole gallon because it was $1.89 while the same thing in a half gallon was $2.62. And no, I didn't get those numbers backwards; makes no sense at all to me, but it's cheaper to buy a whole gallon even if 3/4 of it spoils before we use it.:confused2:

The difference between the contents of white eggs and brown eggs is,,,,,,,,,,,,there is no difference.
    AbO 2012

I usually don't buy eggs on a regular basis, but the last time I did buy a dozen eggs (about 2 weeks ago) the price was ranged from $2.49 all the way up to $3.69! The price of eggs have really gone up here, but I still prefer to buy the eggs from the local farmers who raise cage free hens from the store even if those eggs are more pricey. It just makes me happy to support people who allow their chickens to get out and stretch their legs.
    Nothing like good old fashioned home cookin .....

I live in Eastern Canada. Most of what is around here are dairy farms, yet we tend to have to pay the most for it, it gets frustrating.