Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Childhood Vaccines: Tough questions, straight answers

Childhood Vaccines: Tough questions, straight answers

The quote is from a Mayo Clinic Article.
    Do vaccines cause autism? Is it OK to skip certain vaccines? Get the facts on these and other common vaccine questions.
    As for me I found that I'm in the middle of this and have no clue which side I will ultimate head up on. Prefer not to vaccinate my future kid/s. Found its proven to be effective, but at the same time theres proven risks to it. Haven't really done any serious learning and researching on this or etc as well. Basically, its a huge subject and etc.

I had my first son vaccinated on time all the way to a year old then didn't do the others until he turned 4. The doctor got mad at me that I wanted to hold off, so I switched doctors to one that would accept what I wanted to do and would respect my choices. I have a newborn now and will probably do the same. And the 4 year old is advanced in every way according to his teacher and his doctor gave him a clean bill of health last week so no harm done.

Quote Originally Posted by mybodymyself View Post
    The quote is from a Mayo Clinic Article.As for me I found that I'm in the middle of this and have no clue which side I will ultimate head up on. Prefer not to vaccinate my future kid/s. Found its proven to be effective, but at the same time theres proven risks to it. Haven't really done any serious learning and researching on this or etc as well. Basically, its a huge subject and etc.

At the risk of being written off as "just another insider" (I am a medical provider), I can assure you there is no indication that vaccines lead to autism. Period. I could quote study after study, but let's leave it at one from the CDC for the sake of brevity.

CDC - Exposure to Thimerosal from Vaccines & Immunoglobins - Vaccine Safety

Quote Originally Posted by county View Post
    I had my first son vaccinated on time all the way to a year old then didn't do the others until he turned 4. The doctor got mad at me that I wanted to hold off, so I switched doctors to one that would accept what I wanted to do and would respect my choices. I have a newborn now and will probably do the same. And the 4 year old is advanced in every way according to his teacher and his doctor gave him a clean bill of health last week so no harm done.
    country,

The reason vaccines are spaced out the way they are is so that your child will be able to build up an immunity before he/she reaches the age(s) that they would commonly be exposed to those diseases.

A very likely reason your child may not have contracted any of those diseases is because most (if not all) of those around him/her have been appropriately vaccinated.

No one, including me, wants to risk something that would place our children at risk. That's why its easy to second guess vaccine recommendations when there's so much misinformation on the internet, and even in the main stream media. But trust me, by not getting the vaccines (or delaying them), you are actually placing your children at much greater risk of some very nasty diseases.

Best Wishes,

Lost

Quote Originally Posted by county View Post
    country

Good for you on doing your own learning, researching on this, etc. Then going on others learning, researching, etc. Especially, with the experts and would just take it with a grain of salt. Because who no knows whats fact/s and myth/s.

Think thats it for now.
    Quote Originally Posted by LostInTheWoods View Post
    At the risk of being written off as "just another insider" (I am a medical provider), I can assure you there is no indication that vaccines lead to autism. Period. I could quote study after study, but let's leave it at one from the CDC for the sake of brevity.

CDC - Exposure to Thimerosal from Vaccines & Immunoglobins - Vaccine Safety

country,

The reason vaccines are spaced out the way they are is so that your child will be able to build up an immunity before he/she reaches the age(s) that they would commonly be exposed to those diseases.

A very likely reason your child may not have contracted any of those diseases is because most (if not all) of those around him/her have been appropriately vaccinated.

No one, including me, wants to risk something that would place our children at risk. That's why its easy to second guess vaccine recommendations when there's so much misinformation on the internet, and even in the main stream media. But trust me, by not getting the vaccines (or delaying them), you are actually placing your children at much greater risk of some very nasty diseases.

Best Wishes,

Lost
    lost,

Thanx for your response. Found that I do understand were you are coming from on this. At the same time don't because whos knows what is fact/s and myth/s on this/etc.

country

Good for you on doing your own learning, researching on this, etc. Then going on others learning, researching, etc. Especially, with the experts and would just take it with a grain of salt. Because who no knows whats fact/s and myth/s.

Think thats it for now.
    lost,

Thanx for your response. Found that I do understand were you are coming from on this. At the same time don't because whos knows what is fact/s and myth/s on this/etc.
    Jessica,

As far as who knows what the "facts" or "myths" are, I'd propose the researchers, in both government and private enterprises know. Millions of dollars have been spent on exactly the kind of research we're talking about here.

The very article you linked to is from a very well-respected medical institution (as in world-renowned respected). This very article says:

"Vaccines do not cause autism. Despite much controversy on the topic, researchers haven't found a connection between autism and childhood vaccines. In fact, the original study that ignited the debate years ago has been retracted."

"Any vaccine can cause side effects. Although these rare side effects are a concern, vaccines are much safer than the diseases they prevent."

"Why are vaccines given so early?
    The diseases that childhood vaccines are meant to prevent are most likely to occur when a child is very young and the risk of complications is greatest. That makes early vaccination sometimes beginning shortly after birth essential. If you postpone vaccines until a child is older, it may be too late."

"Is it OK to pick and choose vaccines?
    In general, skipping vaccines isn't a good idea. This can leave your child vulnerable to potentially serious diseases that could otherwise be avoided."

I could post study after study to support this, but that would turn into a full-time job.

IMHO, any doctor that thinks it is OK to "postpone" immunizations (except in the event of some very, very rare exceptions) is flirting with malpractice. As a healthcare provider, I am sworn to "do no harm". Not providing vaccines appropriately causes harm.

In any event, you have to decide...are you to follow the advice of the vast majority of the world-wide medical community, or are you to follow unsubstantiated internet rumors? I truly hope you make the right choice.

As always, best wishes in all you do.

Lost

Jessica,

As far as who knows what the "facts" or "myths" are, I'd propose the researchers, in both government and private enterprises know. Millions of dollars have been spent on exactly the kind of research we're talking about here.

The very article you linked to is from a very well-respected medical institution (as in world-renowned respected). This very article says:

"Vaccines do not cause autism. Despite much controversy on the topic, researchers haven't found a connection between autism and childhood vaccines. In fact, the original study that ignited the debate years ago has been retracted."

"Any vaccine can cause side effects. Although these rare side effects are a concern, vaccines are much safer than the diseases they prevent."

"Why are vaccines given so early?
    The diseases that childhood vaccines are meant to prevent are most likely to occur when a child is very young and the risk of complications is greatest. That makes early vaccination sometimes beginning shortly after birth essential. If you postpone vaccines until a child is older, it may be too late."

"Is it OK to pick and choose vaccines?
    In general, skipping vaccines isn't a good idea. This can leave your child vulnerable to potentially serious diseases that could otherwise be avoided."

I could post study after study to support this, but that would turn into a full-time job.

IMHO, any doctor that thinks it is OK to "postpone" immunizations (except in the event of some very, very rare exceptions) is flirting with malpractice. As a healthcare provider, I am sworn to "do no harm". Not providing vaccines appropriately causes harm.

In any event, you have to decide...are you to follow the advice of the vast majority of the world-wide medical community, or are you to follow unsubstantiated internet rumors? I truly hope you make the right choice.

As always, best wishes in all you do.

Lost
    lost,

Again, understand were you are coming from. At the same time I don't agree with the doctor argument because the parent/s of the child/ren did their own learning/researching, etc. Whom trust those other sources then their health professional/s and etc.

At the same time I don't agree with the doctor argument because the parent/s of the child/ren did their own learning/researching, etc.
    *shrug* I could do research about flying to the moon and piloting spacecraft, but that hardly makes me an astronaut.

I'm not trying to dismiss what you're saying. In fact, you are absolutely right, parents need to make well-informed decisions. But just because a few conspiracy-theorists throw up some fancy websites, it doesn't make them creditable.

Of the 600,000 -800,000 doctors in this country (depends on what source you use), I'm sure you can even find a few nutty enough to agree that vaccines are bad. I doesn't matter what group of people you're talking about, if you have a group of 800,000 people, a certain percentage are going to be poor examples of their profession.

Even if you could find a website that had 80 physicians who said "vaccines are bad" (not that I believe you could find one), there would still be 10,000 physicians for every single one of those 80 that say "vaccines are good".

*shrug* I could do research about flying to the moon and piloting spacecraft, but that hardly makes me an astronaut.

I'm not trying to dismiss what you're saying. In fact, you are absolutely right, parents need to make well-informed decisions. But just because a few conspiracy-theorists throw up some fancy websites, it doesn't make them creditable.

Of the 600,000 -800,000 doctors in this country (depends on what source you use), I'm sure you can even find a few nutty enough to agree that vaccines are bad. I doesn't matter what group of people you're talking about, if you have a group of 800,000 people, a certain percentage are going to be poor examples of their profession.

Even if you could find a website that had 80 physicians who said "vaccines are bad" (not that I believe you could find one), there would still be 10,000 physicians for every single one of those 80 that say "vaccines are good".
    lost,

Found that you are you, others like are you are misinterpreting us (whom have done their own learning, researching) on this and etc. Of course I take everything on this and etc with a grain of salt because whom knows whats fact/s or myth/s.

OK. All the best.

I didn't realized this was such a heated debate! I just do what the doctor says, when he says to do it. I have a friend that is pretty leary about vaccinations, but have never heard others being leary. I say do your research and go with whatever you choose, but hope that your child grows up healthy. As for me I will take the road proven to work and that is the doctors schedule!